SW Force Unleashed issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Apr 19, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok so i purchased said gam from steam the other day. Its a port from teh Lucasarts xbox version i believe and was published by Aspyr. Since installing the game I have been unable to play as it says teh save game is corrupted and eitehr crashes back to desktop or will only play but not allow you to save at all. Now call me old fashion, but i feel that being able to save your progress ona game that may take days to play is a requirement.
    So i contacted Apyrs support asking for a fix.

This was thier reply

----------------------------
    Thank you for contacting Aspyr Technical Support!

This error has only been observed when the game is installed when anti-virus and firewall (Windows and 3rd party) settings are activated.?

Delete the SWTFU.bin file from My Documents\Aspyr\Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

Then, please uninstall the game and uninstall these settings (ie., AVG, Avira, ZoneAlarm). Turn off Windows Firewall. Double check your 'Processes' tab on your Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) to ensure they are no longer running.

Then click on Start --> Run and typing %temp%. When the window opens, delete all of the files within that directory.

Restart your computer, then reinstall the game.

Feel free to contact us with any further issues or concerns.
    ------------------------------------

So it seems thay are basically asking me to make my system unprotected. I have to unisntall AV and Firewall software etc then reinstall teh game. I have never heard of such a thing before. Yes ok sometimes you need to disable your Av to install a game, an dthen enable it in your firewall. But you can still have the Av and firewalls running once the games installed. I consider this poor coding by Aspyr and have responed to them saying so.

Has anyone else ever had to uninstall thier Security software to get things to run, and leave them uninstalled?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok i have had another reply and they are saying ity because i have a free firewall installed ( i have Zone Alarm a well know and widley used firewall) and they do not support thier game running with this. Yet its not mentioned anywhere.

3. Col

Col Byte Poster

I don't think I've ever had to go to those lengths before with installing a game. I've also just downloaded Force Unleashed from Steam and it should be ready to try it out tonight. I'll let you know if I have any problems with it...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well it's not something I've been asked to do, but it does depend on what security software you've got installed. When it's a mainstream and well known product, you wouldn't expect there to be any issues.

But if you've got a system clagged up with free or 'experimental' security software, then a supplier is going to see that as the first scapegoat.

To be fair, the free version of ZoneAlarm throws a paddy when your mouse tries to communicate with your PC, so god knows what else it's doing...

I can go one better on that though.
    Boycey may remember this.
    We had a SBS server and bought additional licenses for it.
    For some reason, every week we were getting reports from the office that half the staff were unable to log on because our licenses had been exceeded. We'd have to go into the office and input the additional license keys again.

We phoned MS support and were transferred around the world, until a gentleman in Mumbai told us that we had to add the license file to the exclusion list of the Symmantec AV scans.

So, what? Basically MS SBS and Symmantec = non compatible?
    AV software randomly deletes user licenses mistaking them for a virus?
    Not cool, however you look at it.

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Do you have Zonealarm installed? I've been on teh steam forums and many people can play the game but they ahve experienced all sorts of issues running it from slow frame rates to crashed etc. Most have eventually been able to get it to run. But there are a lot with the same issue i have.

6. Col

Col Byte Poster

Just given it a try out and everything seems to be fine. Turns my laptop into a white-hot gonad toaster tho. Don't use ZoneAlarm as find it's more trouble than it's worth much of the time.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+