Survey: Non-Certified IT Professionals Make More Money

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Oct 29, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Survey: Non-Certified IT Professionals Make More Money

Take that title with a grain of salt until you read the full story. On the other hand, it's a good lesson in not assuming that certifications equal "road-paved-with-gold". -Trip

The Foote Partners report comparing average pay for certified IT skills versus non-certified IT skills got a lot of people talking. While news that the average salary for non-certified professionals was higher in the third quarter of 2007 came as a shock to some, others were not as surprised. So what does this mean? To answer that I asked some of our SearchEnterpriseLinux.com experts what they think this survey says about the current IT job market and the Linux front specifically.

Story at SearchEnterpriseLinux.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I think that proves that experience is what counts.

You do not need certs if your very experienced and as it says in the article certs show you have the ability.

But as said on here time and time again experience is what counts, certs and no experience can only improve your chances at an interview over people with no experience and no certs.
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      And your point? :rolleyes::biggrin
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I sometimes like a little bit of confirmation. 8)
    5. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Actually the article hints at more than just experience, It mentions 'commodity skills' and offshoring, while I don't strictly agree with this I see their point. In theory alot of first and second line support can be offshored, and possibly even operations and datacentres. Certainly alot of programming gets offshored, albeit with limited success.

If you have in depth experience, or specific industry knowledge you are generally above what many certs test for, many of these people don't see the value of certs and generally are higher earners. Personally I like to play it safe so try to do a little of both.

It also highlights supply versus demand, if you are 'underqualifed' (on paper) in a market with scarce resources you will do better than in a market where there is over supply. It hints at an over supply of microsoft professionals and an under supply of linux professionals.
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I don't think there's an oversupply of Microsoft professionals... I think there's an oversupply of people who think they know what they're doing when it comes to Microsoft technologies, and an undersupply of true "Microsoft professionals" who actually know what they're doing.

As far as the undersupply of Linux professionals goes... I have yet to see a Linux/UNIX job remain untaken due to lack of qualified people applying for the positions, or to see Linux/UNIX admin salaries skyrocket due to a lack of supply and overwhelming demand. Thus, I don't see where there's an undersupply of Linux professionals at all. If a slew of companies all-of-a-sudden migrated to Linux, then yes, I think an undersupply of qualified Linux support admins could occur.
    7. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Well, I see a lot more Linux jobs being advertised than there used to be. Until a year or so ago I don't think I had ever seen a Linux job advertised in the region where I live. Now it's not all that uncommon, especially in the web end of things. There it's getting fairly common to ask for Linux skills. Linux usage is definitely growing.

edit:

Those Linux jobs usually pay more too.
    8. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yes, it is growing... and yes, they do usually pay more, because it's not often you find a Linux tech who is also a newbie. Nor would I likely allow a newbie Linux tech on the critical Linux servers I've administered... again, experience comes into play.