Survey: IT staff would steal secrets if laid off

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Survey: IT staff would steal secrets if laid off

Computerworld UK — Most IT staff would steal sensitive company information, including CEO's passwords and customer details, if they were laid off, according to a new survey from Cyber-Ark.

A staggering 88 percent of IT administrators admitted they would take corporate secrets, if they were suddenly made redundant. The target information included CEO passwords, customer database, research and development plans, financial reports, M&A plans and the company's list of privileged passwords.

The research also revealed that, of that 88 percent, a third would take the privilege password list to gain access to valuable documents such as financial reports, accounts, salaries and other privileged information.

Identity management firm Cyber-Ark conducted the survey of 300 IT professionals in its annual review 'Trust, Security & Passwords'.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      Thats just wrong!
    2. Modey
      Modey
      Not sure there are any secrets worth taking at our place Ken. I reckon we would need to plant some before we left. :)
    3. Gary B
      Gary B
      I know all our server passwords and passwords for cisco kit ect and if I left I'd take them with me in terms of me knowing them - I can't erase my memory.

However, I wouldn't ever use them or pass details on to anyone else and my company change these passwords every so often anyway so if the didn't do it on my departure it wouldn't be long before they were changed
    4. sunn
      sunn
      It's kind of weird...
      It doesn't surprise me that people would do this; but I don't know anyone in IT that would. :blink
    5. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Gee everyone knows you steal secrets whilst in good standing, you never know how short your marching orders will be

the trick is to only SELL secrets once laid off ;)

*disclaimer*
      The above is of course, a bloody joke! stealing secrets is bad, like stealing cookies, don't do it kiddies
    6. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      Ha! Don't even try to act innocent Phoenix. We all know you steal cookies. I've seen your fingers coming out of that black-hole we call the linux boad here with a handfull...
      8):twisted: