Surround Sound Home Theatre help??!! ?(wot to buy)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by mickaveli2001, Nov 8, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

:blink

I would like to get a speaker set. bass speaker on the centre, and 2 speakers on stands for behind me. A speaker set with 3 or 5 speakers. I'm hoping to hook this up to my PS3 to increase the Blu-Ray watching sound experience.

I've been told I need one with an optical connection or something? Don't know too much about them apart from that a lot seem to come with a DVD player :blink which I don't need. I just want the speakers, and to hook them up to the PS3.

Any help? :oops:

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mickaveli2001,

Are you using an HDMI cable between the PS3 and your television set?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Unfortunately yes :( I've got one HDMI connection on the back of the PS3 and only one on the back of my TV, it's an older spec HD TV, so it limits what I can connect to the TV via HDMI

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mickaveli2001,

Does your TV have Component inputs?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um... i know nothing of PS3's but pure logic tells me that you need more than speakers. a speaker needs an amplifier to drive it. If you want a Dolby 5.1 surround setup (5 speakers inc sub woofer) you need a home theater type amplifier that has 5 outputs to hook the speakers up to.

the fiber cable is for *digital audio* and is better quality then normal jack type plugs. only a single fiber cable is required.

If a PS3 has a digital audio fiber output.. then this should connect to your home theater amplifier digital input.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used to have my 360 going through my 7.1 surround sounds system.

The opticle wire went from the RGB cacle ot the opticle port on the surround sound amplifier.

If you are using HDMI the way I understand it is the HDMI goes into the amplifier from your PS3 but another goes from the amplifier to TV.

Have never done HDMI before

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?