Surge suppressors

Discussion in 'A+' started by flex22, Aug 29, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've just been reading about surge suppressors in my A+ book.

Do you guys use them for your home PC?
    Are they built into those mullti socket plug things anyway, or not?
    Because I have one of them currently, to plug in my printer, scanner, pc etc etc.

Are these used at your work, if so which ones do you use.Just curious about them.

Would you recommend buying one for home use?
    I think when I buy a new PC I'll get a surge suppressor.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Your standard multi-block adapter generally wont have surge protection.

I'm ahamed to say I have NO surge protection at home, although I always unplug from the phoneline if there's lightening around. Also, I unplug ALL mains to my PC gear if going away for more than a day or so.

I believe we have surge suppression on a big scale at work, along with a UPS somewhere as well.

Despite my confession above, I belive it should be made a crime to run your home kit without protection - I mean you can get basic suppression kit for £8-10. What price your PC ???

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's exactly Mike's point in the A+ book.

Thanks Jak, yep it's a definite yes to invest in one now.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Been thinking about this lately too. Thanks for reminding me.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Any ideas which one your going to buy nugget?

I haven't got much of an idea about these things, apart from the little section I've read.

Would be good to see some recommendations and where to buy from.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm going to look around in the electronics shops here. Chances are it will be one that just plugs into the socket.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use this one that I got from argos.

I saw this one too while I was looking that is pretty cool.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

They look pretty cool Si especially the one with USB connections.

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I use a surge proctection from Belkin. bought it from Ebuyer...and I always buy it for people I am building PCs for. so I always make it a must...have been buying them for about 4yrs now. so I would say go for it guys...you will be sorry if you dont...BTW Jak thats a good idea...I think I should unplug my PC and stuff when me and Lou go away this weeekend for the week down to Grimsby...otherwise I will be sorry too.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I use surge protectors at work and home. I bought a rather pricey one from Dell when I was buying some other equipment. I protects not only your electronics from surges but you can run phone and cable lines through it as well. If I could afford it, I'd rather by a UPS which would not only protect me from power surges and failures but clean up the current that goes into my machines. I have even heard of a guy who had a power failure right as he work up for breakfast. Plugged his coffee maker and toaster into the UPS and was able to make a few cups and have a couple of toasted muffins before he was off to work. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think I will be playing the lottery for definite now...cos mommy I want one of those...please...:rolleyes: :oops:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Here's some info on UPSs: Link! Also APC has a good reputation for producing this sort of equipment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+