Surface Pro 3

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BB88, Aug 30, 2014.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

So I picked the i5/256 model up in Australia the other day. Seems like a good piece of kit [typing this with the on-screen keyboard now]

Anyone else got one or thinking of buying one?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm eyeing one up as a laptop replacement. What kind of power does the i5 model give? I'll be primarily word processing and using photoshop, so it would need a reasonable amount of wallop.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Put it this way, I installed BF4 on my Surface Pro 2 and played it, sure it's not the same as running it from a dedicated gaming rig but it definitely handled it, same as WoW, has no issues what so ever playing it.

I love mine, I just don't use it as much as I should (I have too many toys).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Its handled everything I've thrown at it so far, which isn't much. But, with 8GB of RAM and an i5 with a max of 2.5GHz per core I'm sure it will be fine. For photo and video editing the screen would be great with its resolution. I read some reviews about the i7 being throttled due to lack of cooling capabilities, so that's why I opted for the i5 model.

I have replaced my MacBook Air 13" 2013 with the SP3 and I am only really missing the track pad, everything else I am getting used to do and I'm even getting accustomed to Windows 8.1!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I got the i5 model with 8 gigs of RAM and a 256 gig SSD on Friday, and so far so good.

The screen is fantastic, the ratio also makes it easier to work on documentation. While the RT and Pro1/2 models have their place (e.g. watching widescreen movies), I think Apple got it right with the original iPad ratio being closer to 4:3 like with the Pro 3.

The original Pro's were already sufficiently powerful to run things like Photoshop. The i5 model with 8 gigs of RAM may even be better, but at least in the case of my girlfriend, her Pro 1 (which used to be my previous Surface I used for work), runs Photoshop and Blender just fine (she's an architect and video game artists).

Some other notably people (like the artist from penny arcade) have been very happy with theirs (allegedly). The new keyboard for the Pro 3 is also better for typing than the previous one (typing on it as I write this).

Alas, it's an expensive piece of kit, so best to probably also get some form of insurance in case it falls and the screen cracks...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I've never considered a surface to be honest. Always had ipads but sounds like the surface is a laptop replacement if you want it to be. Just Googling the specs now. Speaking of Google how does the nexus measure up to this? I haven't bought a new toy for some time. I blame my wedding ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Shinigami

Well, Microsoft touts the SP3 as a MacBook replacement, but to each their interpretation :)

I guess for most, while a rather powerful 'computer', it probably has two issues:

1) it's still quite "top heavy". i.e. the computer internals are in the screen portion, so while the 'lappability' with the SP3 is better than in previous models, it can still topple over if placed on uneven surfaces like ones legs (but to be honest, most 'laptops' get rather warm, which can make them uncomfortable on the lap, and apparently can cook ones... umm, family jewels. I personally always prefer to place a laptop on a table when working on it)
    2) the keyboard, while much better than the "Type Keyboard" from SP1/2 (it's larger, so the keys are more spread out, the keyboard portion is also more rigid, doesn't flex as much), has one problem (for me at least). i.e. the keys are square and flat (I have the Wedge keyboard for my entertainment system and whilst very nice looking, is a challenge to use for fat fingers -> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wedge-mobile-keyboard/U6R-00001 <- it's easy to miss-type a key). This can result in you accidentally tapping a key next to the one you intended to press, unless you press your keys right in the middle. Many other laptops space the keys out a little, or they have a bevel on the keys so that you have a V-shaped ridge between them. This can make some laptops (or desktop) keyboards a little easier to use.

Still, It's a sweet machine (and this being a purely personal opinion and not something my employer made me say). It's plenty powerful, just make sure to install the latest firmware's so that the fan doesn't end up blowing air all the time (it seems they didn't get this stuff out 'just right' out of the box).

I'll be using it this coming week for the first time in earnest at my customers, so I'll let you know if it still works out for me :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Sparky and jk2447 like this.
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks Shini. Good review that mate. I would love to trial one for work. BYOD something like that. We use dell and hp laptops in work. Shini when is windows 9 coming out? Will it need to be tailored to the surface or does it just think it's a touch screen pc. How is it all going by the way mate? Are you still technical or have you gone over to the dark side ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  9. Shinigami

I'm doing fine, thanks :) And as a Microsoft employee, you can buy anything and join it to the domain if you want to (full blown BYOD over here!)

To be honest, those of us working in MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) are not necessarily given the latest info on soon-to-be released operating systems, but we do get opportunities (under our own internal NDA's) to see and play with things that are still under wraps. A lot of what our customers request (e.g. new features) for unreleased software, do sometimes transition through us, but it all depends.

Consultants and Architects (I'm going on one of their trainings in November! whoooo!) do get opportunities to experience things before customers (from a Product Group perspective), but it depends a lot on what you're concentrating on (I'm more in the AD and UC side of things). But anyone from MCS can basically call a Product Group guy up and ask them a question, which other companies and partners can't do, so it's a nice plus :)

So, to answer your question, as I don't work in the client OS, sadly I have clue when W9 comes out :(
    But I'd be surprised if it did a massive overhaul of what we're used to. It'll probably install just fine on an SP3 (maybe also 1 and the 2 models), and give you the desktop with a new start menu (as has been reported on various websites).

I truly and honestly do not know if, and what kind of start menu will be there, you and I will need to wait just as much to see what comes along.

jk2447 likes this.
  10. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Cheers Shini. Love that you guys have BYOD in. I'd expect nothing less from MS. I expect to hear you become some sort of European lead mate. Your technical skills always impressed me mate. I love where I work now but would love a stint with a major vendor. We're cool but industrial. We're all business, no scooters in work or sleep pods ha ha do you have anything like that? I'd quite fancy a sitting and or standing desk.

11. Shinigami

Probably varies from country to country, but at MS Switzerland, we have desks that can be raised and lowered. Sitting down all day is supposedly not that healthy, so some of my colleagues occasionally work standing up. I've seen the same tables at several customers as well.

Microsoft isn't Google, so we don't have sleeping pods either :) But I haven't been to every office so can't really say... We do have a room in Switzerland with nice couches and an Xbox to chill if one needs it :)

Redmond is very large, can take a while to drive from one end of the campus to the other (I even got a little lost... but luckily there's signs stating "Microsoft West" and "Microsoft East", etc...). They have shuttles to take you between buildings, so most people use those. I don't think a scooter would really work there, what with the frequent showers.

12. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Nice one mate. It's cool that you've been to Redmond. I'd like to see it. I hear they use golf carts to get around. I've just become a solution architect. I don't suppose you know if your lot need those? Take me a good few years to get experience but I'd love an adventure. Move to california ha ha

13. Shinigami

The shuttles are either small busses or a Prius, a golf cart wouldn't really work due to the weather. You'd end up getting damp or it would simply be too cold. Here's how they typically look (green and white branding):
    microsoft shuttle - Bing Bilder

There's also much larger busses that bring people in from their homes in the morning and drop them off in the evening. Those are pretty good for the locals who live in or around Seattle (north, south or west), as they can avoid paying the tolls to cross the bridges off to the east where Redmond is.

Pretty much any Consultant or member of Services gets to travel to Redmond as we have different training courses there. Even if you live out of the country. Twice a year, there's also an event called TechReady, takes place in the Washington State Convention Center over a period of one week. You can't really miss the thousands of geeks that take over that part of town :)

jk2447 likes this.