Surf Control and Messagelabs

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by morph, Oct 21, 2009.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Were useing messagelabs as our external web filtering company - any sites we want to check we use the websense surf control site to work out the category, what i've asked form messagelabs and web-sense is a definition for all the categories - now i know most of them are common sense - but i suppose i'm also wondering how the classification is worked out ? Messagelabs have give me the answer 'its common sense' and i've been waiting a few days for web sense to get back to me - my boss is basiclly asking for a definition of categories for support documents - telling him its common sense is not going to cover it. I find it a bit difficult to understand how they cant give me a general description of each category - they must know how the websites are classified - is it by keywords in the url ? Content of the site ? Students who work in a call centre classifying each website as they take calls ??? (ok last ones a joke ) - anyone else come across this or got ay links?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

So, you actually pay them to act as your web filtering company? If so, go back to them and (nicely but firmly) state that it may be commonsense to them but you would like to understand what thety mean. Given that you pay them money for the service, you would appreciate if they could do as you ask and provide the information.

If they still won't play ball, ask that your request be escalated.