support software

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Sep 22, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'm looking at replacing our companies existing support logging software. I've looked at Spiceworks, Web Help Desk and a few others, but none of them seem to do what we already have. While they all log calls etc none of them seem to let you create a customer with name, address and email details and use this to search by. They just show logged calls in teh order thier created. We also need this software to track support contract dates, it has to log when the customer took out support, the length of term of support and then show when it expires. On top of this we need to be able to add a unique serial code for thier software package, generated from an external app.
    Does anyone know if Spice works or any of teh otehrs can do this? has anyone had any expereince of this or can any one recommend another app?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

http://www.numarasoftware.co.uk/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. MSDS KARLS

MSDS KARLS Banned

Hello Twizzle, I am not much expierienced but I think Spice works is the best options.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum. Why do you say that? I have used Spiceworks in two places, and it was crap in both. Regularly fell over, needed a lot of maintenance, and seemed to be almost vindictively difficult to make any changes on it. Track-It, on the other hand, has never been a problem for me anywhere I've been - either as a user of the system, or an administrator/implementer

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the info guys. I do like spiceworks but can see a few issues with it. Mikes Track-It looks nice but could be expensive (and i couldnt find how to add companies in teh way i wanted... but that could come with time).
    Unfortunatley i have to have something but tomorrow so not much time to evaluate all thats out there.

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've used SpiceWorks here purely for Asset tracking and it is useful but resource intensive and unstable. I'd be more likely to recommend it if you could pay for a version that ditched all the adverts, the amount of screen space lost on the dashboard is bloody infuriating.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Apparently you can pay and have it rebranded with your company details, it's not something I've bothered doing though.

I use SpiceWorks at my current place and it does a job, it could improve in a few areas but for small firms it's a good option.

I've used TrackIT and Sysaid in the past both worked well although Sysaid was a bit of a pain to set up initially.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree. So far, the best one that I've used is SupportWorks, but it is on the expensive side. The system that I currently use, Richmond Systems, is the closest that I can get within a tight budget. In inhouse usabilty here, it's beaten Spiceworks, MLH/OP Servicedesk, SysAid, LBE, iLient, etc... When it came to actually usage, setting time time and costs.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I looked at the Richmond one but didnt get along with it. Found ita pain to configure as we wanted and the documentation wasnt all that great. You have any tips on setting it up?

12. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm surprised, I followed the instructions for a basic setup and it worked - practically out of the box.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Supportworks lets you do this, i've heard some of the managers having a whinge about supportworks but i've never had any problems with it and nothing's gone wrong since ive been there.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+