Supermarkets are evil!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shambles, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

quis custodes ipsos custodites - it stands as true today as when it was first coined :)

As a consumer, you cannot be held responsible for what the companies you purchase from do.

Fair Trade products in a supermarket have a 'duty of care' point. Organic products, IMO, do not, and I tend not to buy them. If I want organic, I'll go to my local farm shop, as I know they won't have flown the products in from Whereverarabia. My duty of care? Possibly reducing carbon emissions - my local farm shop is a twenty minute walk away from my house.

Fair trade is different, or at least should be if they keep on governing it properly - Wiki.

Organic food in supermarkets is a rip off, generally. It has been farmed properly, and hasn't been smothered in gross chemicals. Therefore, their lack of attention to the food warrants its price to go up around 30%.

I think it's saying a bit much, checking the origins of a $.98 pen... though I see the point you're trying to make. You can only do what you can do. And you will only do that if you want to (if that makes sense). So back to the point of the Latin - 'Who will guard the guards themselves' - you can't trust the giant companies, but you can try to do what you feel is right in yourself. No one could or should knock you for that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. shambles

shambles Guest

I absolutely agree there are problems with the concept. There are only too many people out there happy to label a product with anything they think might help it to sell - even if it's nonsense. Worst offenders (to my mind) are cosmetics companies who are always harping on about 'visible line reducivity' and how their products contain the latest 'Poly-olly-oodle-lipo-pro-nanosome-loveliness-micro-spheres (with Vitamin R)' or some such rubbish.

I also agree that someone needs to watch the watchman.

I see these as challenges to overcome, rather than reasons to do nothing.

And the Pen thing... Difficult, but now you've raised the issue... I need to do some research into 'Bic' to make sure they don't use Indian child-labour. It's only pennies to me, but to the child I might be involuntarily exploiting, its a life. To some extent, the cheaper the product, the greater the potential problem...

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It is a rather extreme example... but I'm glad it got the point across, which was exactly what I wanted. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonMichael

But, dude...

...who watches the watchers of the watchmen? :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes corruption is rife where ever you sit on the fence, from the lowly shelf stacker upto the big wig in his office who doesnt have a clue on how the supermarket runs.

And this is the case in all organisations, unfortunatley no-one can watch the big bosses the blame always get passed down to the lower echelons of staff for the problems that arise.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. shambles

shambles Guest

You should know better! I never asked you who made God...

:twisted:

7. BosonMichael

You could have. And I would have answered that He always existed. But that'd be off topic for this discussion. :)