Super Laptop!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth.Harle, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

I'm looking to purchase a new high powered laptop for running all my games and virtual machines for my study, basically use it as my main machine.

I've seen various models on Dell and Alienware sites but does anyone know who the best provider of high powered laptops is or have any experience with particular makes or models.

It's going to be pricey I know but I’m selling off my various low powered laptops and desktops I already own to consolidate into one, new, super laptop.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Whichever you decide make sure it's an IBM ThinkPad:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I would consider a Dell M1530 XPS with 2.5GHz 4GB RAM with an external display for running all your VM's.

Can get one for about £800ish from eBay.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Surely you jest...

Stinkpads are the worst laptops I've ever used. By far.

HP - reformatted to get rid of all the foistware. Its the only way to go.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Try this Acer laptop. Modey & myself have the C2D 2.4Ghz processor one, he's running the 32bit edition of Vista and I've changed mine to the 64bit edition. One of my other mates bought the C2D 2GHz edition and upgrade it to the T9300 chip (C2D processor) and it flies.

The plantium warranty (which covers accidential damage) extends the standard warranty to 3 years and is under £100.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Go for an ASUS. They're excellent. Just google it and there are plenty of online retailers discounting them

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Are they discounting them for a reason? lol. j/k - I'm going with one of their sub-notebooks for studying et al

My personal lappy is a Samsung, and at work we only use Toshiba.

The reliability of the latter is more than excellent.

Keeping in mind how far the bottom has fallen out of the storage market, you'll be able to add on plenty of TBs for not much buck to whatever you buy, so I wouldn't panic much about your HDD size.

I'm not one for high-speccing laptops. TBH, if you're looking for a lab machine and you're not going to be carrying the thing about, I'd spec out a PC and you'll get much more bang for your money.

That said, with my penchant for Tosh, I'd say to get the Qosmio X300.

I'm honestly not sure how much of the price is glutted out because the thing is meant to look pretty, but here's a base run-down of the spec:

Core 2 Duo, T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache)
    4GB RAM, max 8GB
    500GB HDD
    17" display and 1680 x 1050 res (transflective TFT; 500Nits brightness <-- not even going to pretend I know what that means)
    NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX

and all the other standard blah (DVDRW, bluetooth, cam, etc)

It comes with Vista Ultimate out of the box, and weighs in at a hunch-backing 4.3kg

That being said, I stand by my previous statement - if you're not going to be portable (and this thing is definitely PC replacement material) then just get a PC - you can spec out your own parts and maintain it with much more ease.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...particularly since their acquisition by Lenovo. Eeeesh.

I'd recommend Dell.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!