'Sup everyone.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 1/4, Sep 6, 2010.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Hello guys I am "1/4" and I feel that pretty much sums up the potential that I am fulfilling with my life in wealth, job satisfaction etc and now my age too[20-something].

I performed well at high school and nearly left to pursue sys admin at 16 but I had my arm twisted into doing the A-Levels then doing the degree and then finding out that the degree doesn't get you a job, nor was there any jobs to begin with etc etc.

At this point the vindication of knowing I should have done what I wanted originally is more than marred by the fact that I didn't go and do it and I came here hoping to get some advice along my path. Back in the day me and friend were looking to do our CCNA certifications and go up from there, it was a basic sort of plan but hey we were 15/16.

Having read a thread from Boson Mike stating that a CCNA is overkill for a new person entering the field would I presume I would be better seeking a CCENT and or an N+ Cert. Here's the thing, having just looked into doing an N+ it states:

"Although not a prerequisite, it is recommended that CompTIA Network+ candidates have at least nine months of experience in network support or administration or academic training, along with a CompTIA A+ certification."

Is that just marketing spiel from them or more accurate in the communities estimations? How can I help reduce the misteps of making a new start into this new career, no mistakes. :dunce Thanks everyone.

1/4

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I think that's more of a basic recommendation. Having some experience in a network support role will make the material a lot easier. Also, a certificate exam is usually taken to validate your experience.

The A+ certification is more of a proof that you have some basic hardware/OS troubleshooting skills.
    As stated, it's not a prerequisite, just a recommendation.

However, I think that the Network+ exam might be a good segway on to the Cisco path.

I'm taking N+ tomorrow, and just started studying for ICND1 :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

the A+ and the Network+ are good solid entry level certs to have, along with the MCDST they provide a solid grounding in the basics needed by IT support professionals. As has been said, the experience stated is a recommendation rather than a hard and fast rule to follow, for entry level certs general computing experience should be enough to help you on your way.

For anything above entry level the recommended experience level becomes far more important, the likes of the CCNA, MCSA/E and MCITP(server 2008) certs rely on having a working experience of the technologies studied.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You should start off by pursuing the A+, THEN do Network+ afterwards. If the MCDST hasn't retired (March 31, 2011) by then, you should pursue it; otherwise, you should pursue the MCTS: Vista and/or MCTS: Windows 7 certifications.

That said, you shouldn't wait until you're done with these certifications to start looking for your first IT job... start looking NOW. Most entry-level IT jobs don't require certification; certification merely makes you look more attractive than your competition.

Hold off on the CCENT until you start (or are about to start) touching Cisco devices in the real world... and that's NOT usually in your first IT job. The concepts covered in the CCENT don't relate to what an entry-level tech would be allowed to do.

Glad to be of assistance. :) Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Welcome to the forums 1/4. As people have already said, I'd recommend leaving CCENT alone for now and concentrate on A+ and N+. That's the route I went and it provides a good IT foundation to build upon.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  6. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

^ What they said.
    A+ is a good foundation. N+ is a good supplement!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depends on what you want the CompTia certs for and what you covered on your degree. You may already have a good foundation.

I'd just concentrate on landing a job and getting experience.

If your degree gave you a good foundation CCENT is probably not out of the question but it does have expiry and would make more sense to take when you have some hands on.