Suggestions for training.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Cryos, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Cryos

Cryos New Member

Well, it's me again, I turned skillstrain down, deciding to wait for my results, and in case I didn't want to persue the MCSE at the end of the two simpler courses yet, or to do something else.

Also, I caught him in a big lie. He said the overall cost of 3500 meant that the last course, the MCSE, was discounted, I also asked him the price of the first two, the A+ and N+, alone, he said about 2 grand. After checking around, it turns out the first two would cost around 500 each with other folks and the MCSE 1500, meaning it would come to the same cost as with skillstrain.

The costs might be similar with other folks when just doing the first two, but none-the-less, I don't like poeple exagerating to me when it comes to cash. >:/

Anyway, now I'd like to ask if anyone has some suggestions on where, with who, or, even how, if I embark on this without a training company, to do an A+ and most likely followed by an N+, I've looked at a few training companies and was planning to call them for more details, I've been looking at http://www.icslearn.co.uk/ and http://www.itlearneasy.com/ for starters, but I don't know much about them, so don't go yelling at me for terrible choices or anything :P

So, yeah, can anyone recommend a good training company, preferebly not more expensive than it merits, or, failing that, how I'd train myself, if I remember some poeple set up livelabs by themselves? I really don't know.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Cryos,

If you want to do self study there is nothing to it. All you need to do is to go out and buy yourself a book on the subject you are wanting to learn. For instance if you want to do the A+ simply go on to amazon do a search for A+, buy the book and read it. Once you've done that you are already on your way to becoming A+ certified.

Another step would be to buy, or build, a PC to go along with that book. Don't use the one that you use every day, but another one that you don't mind trashing and then having to rebuild over and over again.

The book will undoubtedly have some Lab's in it so this is where your lab PC becomes usefull.

Once you have completed your booksand Labs and feel confident you simply need to book the exam, this is done most easily by the internet here.

Once you've aced the exam it's time to move on to your next cert and start the process over again, except you've already got your lab PC this time so all you need buy is the next book and pay for the exam.

Hopr this helps. 8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I just notice cryos from looking at your previous posts that you are straight out of college.
    Have you thought about heading to university to do some courses? These are usually cheaper than traninig providers. Or how about trying a Modern Apprenticeship in IT?

8)

4. Cryos

Cryos New Member

Will the book be able to give me an idea of the sort of 'experimental' pc I'll want to grab to test and practice on?

Edit: Missed your second post, I don't see many university degrees doing the sort of thing I'd want from looking so far, and I already have a deferred university placement which I don't really want, so if If I were to re-apply to something I'm guessing I'd have to do it all over again. Also, from the look of some of the IT related courses at university, my ABC grades won't cut it for them.

As for the apprenticeship, no idea, any information on that?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It may well do, from what I hear the Mike Myers A+ book is the one to buy. Here's a link to it on Amazon.
    Mike Myers

Alternatively you could go for any type of PC, a bottom of the range one if you're going to build your own, or try to get hold of old second hand ones that no one wants anymore.

The harder it is to set up initially, then the more you will learn!

8)

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

For the apprenticeship if you get in touch with your local careers centre or job centre they will be able to offer you information of local places that run them. Many local colleges do them on a day release basis.

As fo university have you looked at foundation degrees? I'm currently on one (paid for through work) and it covers the A+, The Server+, the MCSA, and the CCNA,+ other stuff.

have a look at the Foundation Degree webpage to see if you can do one at your local university.

7. Cryos

Cryos New Member

The foundation degree website wasn't too helpfull...when I put in a search, most links I clicked took me to it's homepage again. But one of my parents is trying to get me to a job centre so I'll use that to ask about apprenticeships. Right now I have one parent basically saying 'get your butt moving' and another saying, 'I'm not sure what you've picked is the way to go.' Which, if I listened to, would mean more research and no getting my rear moving to learn more, see the conflict there?
    They say they've talked to each other, so I swear they must be going stupid.

Quite irritating, so at least I can use one of them to my advantage to go visit the job centre. Turning 18 was supposed to be fun darn it!