Suggestions for the name of my IT business...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sam1103, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Sam1103

Sam1103 New Member

Hey Guys,

So I'm having a writer's block of sorts, I'm about to go self employed and have most of the things I need in place... Apart from a name that is!

A lot of the articles I have been reading online suggest making up words that have total flexibility, for example, "Google" doesnt relate to internet searches, "Amazon" doesnt relate to book sales etc etc. I like this idea, most of the competitors in my area have names like "Bobs PC Repair" or "PC Doctor".

I want the chance to seperate myself right from the get-go, I hope you all have your creative heads on!

Thanks for your replies,

Sam

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Aokay homechaps technical support - standsout but looks stupid :D

Try to make your name totally unique.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Easily forgettable.

Try
    Technical something something computer something :rolleyes:

I've done too much thinking today

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why?? and I mean that honestly.

Unless you're going to open up a shop front or have an internet presence then it really doesn't matter (and I am assuming by self employed you mean temp\contracting?).

Look at some of the internet and shop front traders (Yoyotech for instance) a lot of them don't actually 'trade' as their limited company name (Yoyotech is the Trading name of Antech Direct Limited, not Yoyotech).

I have my own limited company, you will laugh but the name has absolutely nothing to do with IT. When I was running my website (www.yourpcproblemsfixed.com) I wasn't running that website name because of my company, I ran it because I liked the name, if I had to invoice for anything it went through my company books.

Company names really don't count for much... unless you're the likes of Google, IBM or Intel, for Joe Bloggs (or Sam1103) it really really doesn't matter.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

How about something simple like "PCTech", or pctech.co.uk

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Call it whatever you want. Mine is www.thatcomputerbloke.co.uk (don't laugh) but I haven't used it for about five years now - as you'll see by the links, and the fact that my blurb on the site says I've only been in IT for five years :biggrin

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I agree, when I started CS, I just needed a name, it just so happened that I had this name up on the selves in my head for another idea, so I figured it'll do....although do try to make it easy to spell. I am forever saying "two M's" to people when spelling the name out.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If you have an interest in astronomy and electronics, you could use uranus hertz (Credit to Scott Adams for that name)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Suggestion - how about something line a nameitservices.co.uk or nameitsolutions.co.uk

I think you will find some domain names available I given you. :):)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,