Suggested security certs

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by jb87, Aug 29, 2017.

1. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

In the company I work for, there is a job advertised. It involves monitoring using SIEM and investigating/resolving threats and suspicious activity.

Experience in Security along with a qualification/certification preferred, but if they don't they can provide training and time to do the certification. The job ad didn't mention the name of the Security certification they want though, so I assume anyone would be fine.

I don't have practical experience in Security, but done a module and final year project in that area. I will mention this in my application.

Getting ahead, I would like to do the CISMP cert offered by BCS (formerly ISEB). Security+ isn't recognised here in the UK that much compared to the US, so won't do that one. ISC2 certifications probably not a good idea yet, as it's for people with experience in the industry.

I hope doing the CISMP is good cert to do for the time being. Your opinion appreciated

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Personally I still like Sec+ as an intro cert even here in the UK.

Caveat to that is it was a while ago I did it but it was enough to give a reasonable grounding in the basics.

Can be done easily enough by getting something like the Mike Meyers book.

I don't know what the content of the CISMP is, with the 'M' standing for management not sure how faffy it is but probably wouldn't be a bad one to look at to satisfy the requirement to have some form of cert.

For ISC2 certs I think the SSCP is supposed to be entry level but again not sure if it's designed for someone with a year or two experience already.

Also what SIEM technology would you be working with? Could also be useful to get clued up on how that particular product works as well.

JK2447 likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Another thumbs up for Security+ as the ideal starting point. It's a very enjoyable cert to study for

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would also recommend CompTIA Cybersecurity Analayst (CSA+) I have also done the CISMP and is quite an easy exam but not technical so might not suit what you are after.
    SSCP is also a good starting point.

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.