Suggested benefit for CITP holders

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

I recently sent an e-mail to the BCS for a suggested benefit for CITP holders - the fast track for the City & Guilds MCGI award (which is comparable to a Masters degree). This is the same benefit that CEng holders have.

I received an e-mail back saying that my suggestion has merit and that the BCS will take a look into this. Which is fair...

My questions are to you guys...

1. For existing CITP holders, if this went thru, would you take advantage of this as an extra benefit? And

2. For those not yet CITP holders, would this benefit entice you to go for the CITP?

I would go for it (after all I'm suggesting it), and I've spoken to a few other people who think it's a good idea. But what do you guys think?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't mind a CEng as it might help me win more work, never heard any job request MCGI and masters on the whole seem to get a bad rap as far as recognition / ROI.

At least with a masters I might learn something...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think it would be regarded more as a management thing and whilst I agree it has merit and I'd probably apply for it, I can't say I've ever seen it listed on a job spec.

CEng is a bigger issue for me as I don't qualify even tho' I'm CITP. The "engineers" seem to cherish their status and are not keen to expand it too much into other areas.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Go and talk to them,it appears CEng like the other titles is really more of a paperwork thing, if you're prepared to be an active member of the IET and you get to know enough people I'm pretty sure you could get it. I've seen management consultants get it, so it does appear again more management based than engineering based award.

They are pushing IEng as the real engineers award, but of course nobodies heard of it, so nobody wants it...

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's interesting Dave. I spoke to the IET last year and corresponded with them and they were, in fact, quite rude and disparaging. I reported them to BCS but they didn't seem to want to take up my case either. It was suggested I join IET and take Cisco certs as my easiest way in but I just couldn't be bothered with them tbh.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, the MCGI is not suppose to replace a Master's degree, but assist when it comes to when a Master's level award/qualification is desirable/essential, like alot of other level 7 qualifications (like the Professional Diploma is comparable to a Degree, but it's not listed directly but falls under "Degree or equivalent").

The IEng would have been the award that I would have gone for in conjunction with the CITP, if I had the funds, as according to the tech spec of the CEng I would not have been eligible...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I think its a good idea. As said probably not something you'd mention often but why not get it anyway and omit it when you feel its not relevant, it could come in handy one day you never know and besides, the more benefits for being a CITP the better. I'd imagine more benefits = more CITP applications because everyone wants more bang for their buck (membership fee's). More CITP's means more money for the BCS so everyones a winner baby dun na na na (playing that song in my head, which I hate!).

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Bit early for a drink is it not mate? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You've changed ha ha its never too early! :) Especially when I'm going to Turkey today 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, now I’m jealous.

<has a beer>

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs