suelance help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suelance, Jan 11, 2007.

1. suelance

suelance New Member

trying to install a sata dvd rom drive on xp. connected drive up and system runs fine and see samsung dvd rom as soon as you put a disc in it to play hole system restart. according to instruction just connect it up and xp will have drivers for it.drivers are dated 2001?.can some one tell me what i have done wrong

Certifications: compTia A+ hardware
    WIP: compTia A+ software
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a driver or motherboard issue to me. Perhaps a PSU issue, if it's not able to enough power to the components.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Are you getting any stop errors, are there any errors in event viewer? Have you been to the mobo manufacturers website to check for newer drivers?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. suelance

suelance New Member

i have a 550watt power supply. ihave 2 HDD 60gb other is 200gb they are maxtors 7200rpm, 1 dvd rewriter, 1 floppy drive,usb printer and a scanner, usb web cam and 1 usb infra red, motherboard is a foxconn winfast 6150k8md with a amd 3800 processor and a gig of ddr 400. from what information i put there could i be draining power supply

Certifications: compTia A+ hardware
    WIP: compTia A+ software
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you tried a different SATA cable aswell?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... 550W should be more than enough. Might still be one of the other problems that members have posted above.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I always remove any peripherals when installing new components to a system. Could be a software conflicting issue, And as stated above.... Any stop BSOD messages??

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Another thought - switch off the tick-box that causes the automatic restart on error. That way you might get to see what the error actualy is!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Does it do the re-boot thing if you are just trying to read a data disk ie CD or data DVD or does it re-boot only when you are playing a DVD?

It could be an issue with the DVD playing software you are using if it's the latter. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Harry where is this tick box? i cant find it for the life of me!

I got a problem where cover cd's from a pc mag cause my machine to reboot. I can view the disks menu and look at the files in win explorer but i cannot install anything from the disk or even copy files from it to my hdd with out it rebooting. I'd like to know if it shows an error message before reboot that i can contact the mag with.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As I don't have XP on my work machine I did a quick google. This Microsoft site has the following:
    EDIT: IMHO Cover CDs are evil - I always avoid them for just this sort of reason!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that Harry,

I was looking under administrative tools in control panel. And i was looking for Automatic restart on error not just automatic restart ( i know how vague MS can be but at times they can be very exacting on thier syntax!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,