Successfully landed my first support role :D

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex399, Apr 23, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Spot on, looking at what I DO, what I get paid, what my manager does (and I KNOW EXACTLY what he does because we have an informal business relationship for the most part) and what gets paid, what they were expecting me to work for, is insulting, in fact, Its taken me this long to really begin to stand up for what I have done as opposed to what I get paid to do and ask for benefits to match.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, WK... I just think you're taking an extremely short-sighted and self-centered view of this.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in your new position.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

BM, you know I respect your opinion mate, and thanks for the good luck. :D

In short, if I sign up expecting to be doing just a (for example) Desktop Support role, just installing Anti Virus and whatnot, but end up doing that AND 70% of the server support teams role because they only do what interests them, that I should not expect to be compensated accordingly? I wasn't asked to do these things, and sadly, it isn't something as interesting as Server Support (Which as a desktop support person, one should jump at the chance of learning the skills), it was tedious, administration and department management tasks that seriously made the working environment a bad place to work unless I DID them, as my senior would not. I wasn't asking for my seniors wage, or even close. I was asking them to match where I am going too, and got less than 10% of what I am being offered by someone else, to do LESS work than I currently do off my own back.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But you're not in that position, even if you ARE doing that work. Personally, I'd be grateful for the opportunity to be getting some server admin experience, and THEN I'd do exactly what YOU are doing: jumping for a server support job making 30% more! My point isn't that you shouldn't be going after the new job... my point is that it is not "an insult" to be making half the wage of your manager OR being offered a pay RISE in this economy. That's all. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Once again thanks for the congrats guys :biggrin feels good to finally have my foot in the door with not even as much effort as I expected it to involve, basically I'm very grateful for how quickly I got a job on the Technical side of things after being fired 8) its not exactly in IT but hey its still technical support.

Edit: Once I get a laptop I will be a regular poster again, until then I really cannot make posts and read them on my mobile... I did try but its painful to read posts on my tiny N97 mobile screen.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST