subnetting

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Becki, Nov 21, 2008.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Check the very first reply.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry, this isn't a filesharing or bittorrent site if that's what you're after.

There are a lot of reputable video training companies out there, VTC, CBT Nuggets, Preplogic, Trainsignal to name a few that produce very good material.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Agreed, you need to be quick at both subnetting and using the IOS commands for diagnostic and configuration purposes to pass the exam.

Also having a clear head and a relaxed (ie not panicky approach) to exam taking is more than useful as you will at some point see the time draining away pretty quickly.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I usually just use a easy to remember reference, so I remember 256 is 8 (and also 254 hosts - remember the minus 2), and then i can work from there easier by doubling up for the higher numbers (ie 9 - 512, 10 - 1024 and so on).

Works for me anyways.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I recently did a thread here called "subnetting and supernetting, what is it and how does it work." It seems a good starting point. Coming up during Christmas: a last post with some examples.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. gochieng

gochieng Bit Poster

Subnetting, equally gives me headache and net-aches (yes, I cannot as yet so configure networks). I have spent all my life managing issues and human networks in base ten and here (masked as subnets), am required to translate computer networks in base Two!. when I think I have got it all (bits of zeroes and ones!) right, then I lose sight when on trials.(without default getways for escape). but yes, I will continue learning it before my soon 291 exams! I have this gut feeling that when I learn subnetting (only met supernetting once) then I will be able to handle DNS well and therefore even the 291 certification-(DNS_full)-exams
    gochieng

Certifications: MCP, MCDBA
    WIP: MCSE
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

DNS has nothing to do with subnetting. You can understand DNS completely and have no knowledge at all of subnetting. The other way round is also thrue.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP