Stumped by Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by TimoftheC, Sep 8, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If it was the page size settting shouldn't the question have been:- A user sets a job to print but the job does not come out, however if the user presses the the button on the printer manually the job comes out but is the wrong size. How do you resolve this?

There was nothing in the question about the document image being the wrong size so therefor could it not be a network priority issue?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

GBL - unfortunately it could easily be a document print size issue - the differences between A4/Legal/Letter are miniscule at best, and can cause problems.

By default when I get a printer in the tray assignments on the physical device are set to 'any type/any size' before they go anywhere near a user's desk.

Normally sorts 'em out :)

And for the record, I probably wouldn't have volunteered the NUM lock solution quickly, but I would have asked the user to type text in the username field, to ensure that the keyboard wasn't stuck in CAPS. A good word to get people to type (I have found) to not compromise security by putting in their password is 'popeye'. It's easy to spell, has letters in the NUM field on laptop keyboards, and has letters that are often exchanged on input languages (eg, I think the y and z are exchanged in German input).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately you never get the full story out of users, you have to dig deep.

The printer could have had more than one tray, for differing paper sizes, and its been configured tray one to A4 for example and tray 2 for auto, when it should be set to A3 or whatever.

Ive seen that before, prob is if its a network printer it needs to be changed server side as usually users wont have permission to edit these settings (which is a good thing) and then they will need to reattach the printer for the new changes to take effect (either by reboot/or remove/adding the printer)

The first one seems obvious, again lack of information, but in most companies (unless they are huge) you know who has pcs or laptops so this would probably stick in your mind, but i dont think its a bad mistake really.

Good luck in your job hunt

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I think you'll find its because she has the wrong media settings in word, probably printing legal when the printer has A4.
    A lot of laser printers do this even if they have one tray.

Most of the time a letter or document will print fine however will look as if the margins are wrong.

That login one... you could have also asked if the correct domain was selected. The amount of places i have been to where laptops have a whole list of domains from where they have been passed around.

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I see what you are both saying, I just thought the interviewer would have asked a more thorough question to the OP in his interview.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

:D nope, the question posted was about how it was asked. I did ponder the problem in interview and said that I didn't think it was a problem with the printer as it was described as a group printer and as nobody else was reporting the problem it had to be local to the user. I speculated that it might be a setting in Word that was causing the problem and the interviewer did sort of push me in that direction and asked me what I thought might need changing in Word to fix the problem but I didn't know - pretty sure I do now thanx to the great replies.

I got the impression with a couple of the questions asked that they were being a bit vague to see how I thought through a problem - to see how logical or methodical I was. One of the other questions asked was that a user called to say that in Outlook they could receive e-mails but they had a problem sending them. The user had sent a number of e-mails but the recipients were saying they had not received them - what would you advise?

Now, my first thought was to check all of the account settings, but then I thought, start simple so I asked, "can you click on the Outbox for me and see if its empty" The reply to that was, oh, all of my emails are in here, to which I replied "please just click send and receive and they'll send" - problem solved :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Spot on

I had a phone interview a few weeks back and they asked a question which i gave the correct answer for, and then she pressed me on it and i said well its unlikely but this could have been a contributing factor, anyways she said what the answer was and i said "thats the first thing i said" so remember interviewers are human and will probably miss out things or screw with your head to see how you deal with it.

This is usually because the amount of times ive told a user to do something and they ignore you and carry on "trying things" is immense, eventually after a minute i usually say something sharp such as "right to sort this issue you need to do what i say" lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

wouldn't have gotten the printer issue. the laptop one I think i would have asked them to check num lock by typing in the user name field fairly early one - it's alot easier to assume the user is at fault rather than the network:biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  9. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hehe, I like that - will definitely keep that in mind next time I'm in that position (soon I hope) :lol:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???