Studying For the Comptia Net+ Exam

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am studying for the Comptia Network + exam does anyone have any helpful hints.
    So far its has been pretty simple but I am kind of stuck on the topic.OSI Model.
    Is there a good book for the Network + I am using an e-book from exam cram.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've personally learnt the OSI model from doing ccna, but I do have the Mike Meyers Network+ book that explains the OSI model pretty well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Professor-Falken

Are the Mike Meyers book available as E-books A+ and N+ do you know?

Professor Falken

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well usually when you purchase the book, it comes with a cd that contains the e-book. However I dont think you can get just the e-book.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just a few questions, Professor.

Why do you need an eBook (and as was said, usually when you by the print book, an eBook comes with the CD)?

What is it that you're having trouble with regarding the OSI. Is it remembering the order of the layers or what each of the layers is supposed to do? Lot's of stuff available via a Google search for "osi model":

http://www.google.com/search?q=osi+...oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=revision&cd=1

BTW, Meyers is great teaching the A+ but so-so with everything else including the Network+. In my opinion, the Sybex Network+ book is better.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Personally speaking from experience when I was studying A+, the Sybex book went into great (and UNNECESSARY) detail with almost everything. That's good for info purposes, but it was a real pain exam wise, since all the in-depth stuff never came........and it would no doubt bust anyone's brains just to remember all that stuff -- only to know that it won't come in the exam. So I used the MM book instead along with the LearnKey videos, and believe it or not, everything there was straight foward and to the point and it was real easy to study and remember.

But now that I'm studying N+, I'd like to know which book is better to study. Cuz I have the Sybex and I'm getting the MM N+ book to borrow from a friend. I also have the N+ LearnKey videos (2002) by MM. So I was planning on just studying the MM stuff for N+ and forget about the Sybex......until I saw your comment above. :rolleyes:

So if you experienced guys could advise me which book to use and your reasons, I'd greatly appreciate it. And does the 2002 videos matter all that much? I guess the objectives are a little different, but the same info is relevant........right?

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I would have thought that ANY book on networking or even TCP/IP would go deeply into the OSI/RM. I learned from a combination of: Sams Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours, and Absolute Beginners Guide to Networking. Admittedly, these books are not aimed at the N+, but they WILL cover some of the same topics (having not seen the N+ requirements, I cant say for sure).

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. Professor-Falken

When I bought my Mike Meyers 5th edition it did not come with an e-book. It came with a CD that has practice questions. Anyway does the Sybex book come as an E-book

9. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Becareful with the TCP/IP books. The N+ focuses on the OSI network model, but I don't remember if it mentions the DoD model. Some older TCP/IP books may focus on the DoD model and just give an overview of the OSI model.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

PF if you need electronic training such as video why don't you use you tube as mentioned in GBL thread here,

To anyone who can't self study with books

it's got stacks of training videos in network that people have uploaded and it's free!!:biggrin

WIP: Comptia N+
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Believe it or not, that answer is actually in Amazon's description of the Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003, Deluxe, 2nd Edition book:

Certifications: A+ and Network+