Studying for the CCNA.

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by AndrewGB, Jun 11, 2011.

1. AndrewGB

AndrewGB New Member

Hello,

I purchased this book a few years ago but never got time to even open it.

CCNA Cisco® Certified Network Associate Study Guide

I have recently had a burst enthusiasm and I am now looking to study for the CCNA. The book makes reference to CCNA 801 but I beileve this has since moved on the 802. If this is correct, is there any point in me even reading this book, or shall I buy a modern one?

I am trying to study for a CCNA on a budget which is why I don't want to spend thousands of pounds going to a college. Plus, I would ideally like to have this boxed in as little time as possible, like 6-8 months. I've heard that it is possible to have the CCNA done in as little as 3 months but I guess that will be going mad everyday. I am not trying to do the course as fast as possible because I know thats not the best way to learn. I am however pretty keen on getting this done this year so I can move onto a CCNP or similar. How many hours per day is necessary to have this boxed off in 6 months?

My plan was to read this book in full while following an online video course like the one on CBTNuggets (Cisco CCNA Certification Package). Before taking the exam, I was planning on attending a local CCNA training course like the one provided by CommSupport (CCNA Training CCNA Voice & Security classroom courses from £395+vat with Integrated E-learning Program). They have a 6 day CCNA course for £595+VAT. Would this be a good route plan? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

The above would all depend on your experience with working with Cisco equipments in a production environment. If this is the case then you're on the right track, be nice to give us a brief idea of your IT working experience.

Best wishes and cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. AndrewGB

AndrewGB New Member

Thanks onoski!

I did a diploma in computing about 7 years ago but as I am working in an un-skilled job which far exceeds "entry-level IT" pay I never bothered making the move.

I am interested in making a move into IT for "visa" purposes and only have 4 years in which to study, gain the experience, complete a sucessful visa, and move. The best IT based option for me would be "Network Administrator" or "Network Analyist" as this is something which I am sure I would enjoy.

For the last 4-5 years I have been working (personal projects) with PHP and MySQL but this isn't an option for a visa.

Please advise which route is best.

Thanks

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Never the best motivator for doing something like this.

I can understand where you're coming from but I suspect those issuing visas are looking for skilled people who can make a valuable contribution, and are wary of those who have gained a certification based on no experience.

I wouldn't know though.

But if you don't have a real love of the subject, don't forget that you can probably get a visa by being a really good vet or a dentist...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. AndrewGB

AndrewGB New Member

Nothing interests me like IT does. Plus studying to become a Network Administrator or similar position is going to be career enhancing anyway.

Where is a good starting point?