studying for the 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by alien8predator, Jun 3, 2008.

1. alien8predator

alien8predator Bit Poster

Hey Everyone,
    I'm studying for the 70-271 certification, and I'm using the following book someone advised me.

http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitle/productCd-0782143520.html

I really like the book, but I'm having some trouble understanding permissions. What's the easiest way to remember how they work cuz I think they get kind of confusing. I try to study by testing it out on a testing system I created with vmware and taking notes on important parts of the chapters. Does anyone have any study tips for or any other helpfull advise for taking the 70-271? I'm taking the exam at the end of this month. Thanks in advance for all those who respond :)

Certifications: ITIL;70-271
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi alien8predator,

Have you got the MS Press book for the 70-271? I would recommend you buy that book and use the Sybex book as a supplement to that book. To be honest the Sybex book doesn't go into the detail that I think is required to pass the course.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212489551&sr=8-1

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup... couldn't agree more with Ropenfold and GBL. The Sybex is good, but not enough to get you through. Plus, the version of the Sybex book you're reading is the older one (no SP2 in it) from memory. The MS Training kit is very good. Also, You really need to be looking at TechNet and elsewhere on the MS site too.

As ever, the best thing is to work with the OS, to see what it can and can't do.

5. alien8predator

thanks for all the advice. I'll reconsider reading through the MS Pressbook after I have finished reading the Cybex book. I've read through more than have of the MS Press, and at a few points in the book it keeps going on and on up to the point that it starts to bore me and make me fall asleep trying to even concentrate on reading. I tried to take notes, but my notes are probably too long with too many details. I have about 25+ pages of notes and I even think my notes are too long to even try and study from. Anyone have any advice of what the best way to use the MS pressbook is? I have vmware server installed on my pc, created a virtual machine with windows xp professional installed on it.

6. alien8predator

what's the average time to study for a microsoft exam before you are ready for a microsoft exam?cuz I've been studying on and off for the past couple months now and I still don't have a feeling I'm ready for it. But I've started studying regular sind last week. But Just was wondering what the average study time is. Cuz I'm also wanting to do MCSA and MCSE and was wondering how long it should take me to get those including MCDST.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have had no previous IT experience in a workbased environment, only from using home pc etc, but managed to pass the 70-271 in three half weeks. Scoring just under 800.

Hope that gives you a guidline.

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. alien8predator

thanks for the encouragment Craig. I guess then a month of just serious studying instend of pretending to study should be fine then. I read through some of your other posts Craig and it was just fun reading how you just started out in the IT and how things are going so well for you and like the typical helpdesk day situation. Sounds very familiar.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Glad I could help :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is a great way to learn, learn by doing. Keep reading the books and doing the exercises in them. Check out technet when you're not sure about something and also here at CF.

Anywhere from 3 weeks to a year and a half per exam, depending on experience and time you have to study.

Don't be so quick to measure yourself by the time it took others to pass their exams. If I say that it took me 6 weeks to do my A+, 3 weeks to do my Network + and a month each for the 271 and 272 (when I got around to doing them) what does that say to you about how long you need?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know the average... but consider this: if I told you that the average was two months, would you pressure yourself to go in and take the exam immediately? Or if I told you four months, would you take more time to study?

In truth, everyone is different.... different past experiences, different capacities for learning new material, different aptitudes, and different responsibilities. What takes me one hour to study might take you one month... and something that takes you one week to study might take me one year.

So, how long should you take? As long as it takes... until you completely understand the concepts. This isn't a race. This is training so you can not only pass an exam... but also so you can be a better tech. Don't concentrate on how long it takes. Study until you understand the concepts... no more, no less. Then take the exam.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. alien8predator

Hello All,
    In the end I decided to follow the advice that most people agreed on here, I used the MS pressbook to study for the 70-271. I'm glad to say I passed the exam yesterday, I'm now patiently awaiting for the arrival of the MS pressbook 70-272 in the mail. Just have one question though, on the results of the exam you get your score, and it shows which I haven't perfected yet. What's the best way to improve your skilss in certain areas?

13. BosonMichael

Hands-on experience. Outside of that... simply studying where you are weakest. There's really no magic formula. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the pass mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass, good luck with 70-272. :D

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  16. kkr

kkr New Member

Hi everyone, new to the boards so hello.

I am a current university student and have covered both 70_270 and 70_290 material (without taking the exams) during this past year at university and to help with this i purchased both the 70_270 & 70_290 approved Microsoft It academy textbooks.

So having successfully completed this past year i am looking to obtain my first official qualifications and I will be working towards the MCDST status. With this in mind (and it will probably sound stupid but....)i was wandering if i would be able to study for the 70_271 and 70_272 exams using the 70_270 Installing, Configuring & Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional textbook?

Or would it be better to purchase the 70_271 and 70_272 textbooks instead?

Cheers for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

17. BosonMichael

Negative - 70-270 covers XP from a domain admin's perspective, not from a desktop support tech's perspective. I would recommend getting books that specifically cover 70-271 and 70-272.

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats on the pass :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. kkr

kkr New Member

Ok will do, thanks for the advice.