Studying for CCNA exam

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by chaje10, Dec 31, 2014.

1. chaje10

chaje10 New Member

Hi Cisco Techs,
    I am currently studying for the CCNA exam. I have a few questions regarding the CCNA exam.
    1) Is it better to take one exam or 2 exams for CCNA?
    2)What kind of Cisco Simulator should I download for studying. I like to connect multiple routers and switches and test out the Cisco commands.
    3) Is there any good sites with Cisco exam practice question? In the past, there is braindump for Microsoft Exam. Any other good sites for studying?
    4) Is it worth to get some low end router (cisco 2500) for studying?
    Jeff

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

If you can get hands on devices, then I would say it is well worth it. Sims are good and all that, but you will encounter physical issues and such that just aren't well if at all demonstrated on sims.

You mention brain dumps, these are swear words on here, please ensure that you are NOT using any braindumping sites etc, as they only teach you the answer to a question, as opposed to why the answer is right and how you would understand the real issue to get that answer.

There are plenty of resources about depending what you are willing to pay and so forth, but in an ideal world I would recommend some real world hardware and a real world lab to practice with and play with etc creating and fixing problems.

I have used Packet Tracer quite a bit, as there are many labs that people have created on there that will help with some concepts, and it means you are actually fixing real problems as such that you don't know of, so there is a place for decent sims, but as an aid, not as a sole resource IMO.

The exams, you should probably take as 2 separate, the single exam is more for people who have a lot of real world experience and who are re-certifying etc.

Good luck.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I agree with Coupe2T. Real kit is something you are going to have to get your hands on. Packet tracers is good to learn the command line but it just not like the real thing, too many bugs i have discovered that i would not use it for anything complex.

Regarding braindumps, here on Certforums they are "dirty words" in the real world they are "Time wasters".

It is very common these days during the interview stage for you to be put through the companies internal Cisco Lab test, no amount of braindumping will help there.

The question regarding practice exams and questions well there are many, but most fall into the Braindump category.

In my experience and the experience of my students nothing beats handson labbing until you know the protocols inside out. Lab until you are sick of CLI

HTH

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree