Studying for A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by SL1M, May 10, 2004.

1. SL1M

SL1M New Member

Guys, I have recently started studying for the a+ and so far i am finding it very interesting and havent really struggled but i am having difficulty with one thing. i am finding it hard to memorize the different properties for different cpu's, i know the fundametals but not the specifics. does anyone know of any comparitve datasheets or can anyone who has sat the exams let me know if this is something that you really need to know the ins and outs of.

p.s love the site, already i am finding it a great help.

keep up the good stuff.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi SL1M. Welcome. Let's see...I think what I eventually had to do is just hand draw a table of all the different CPU properties and just hammer away at them. There are some parts of the A+ that require just plain old memorization of the information. In real life, you don't often have to carry that kind of information around in your head. Sorry I can't be of more help.

BTW, don't forget to visit the New Members Introduction forum and tell us a bit more about yourself. Glad you found your way here. Hope you enjoy the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi SL1M,

I agree with Trip - while the A+ material concentrates on lots of detail on many areas, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in any one area to the point where the rest of your understanding of the course as a whole starts to suffer.

You could probably afford to have "weakneses" that you can live with for now, while you spend your time making sure your overall understanding of whats required is up to scratch. Then, later you can worry about filling in the gaps.

HTH
    :D

And yup- next stop, New Members Forum 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got to thinking about what I said and Gav also made a good comment. When I took the A+...especially the core section, what I was thinking about when I was answering the questions wasn't so much what I had read but what I had done. It's a lot easier to relate to the exam from the perspective of having torn down and built up a dozen or so computers tweaking them this way and that just to see what you can do with them. I think the A+ type techie is just someone who's really curious about how things work and like to shove their hands inside a box with all kinds of wires, circuit boards and dust.

Certifications: A+ and Network+