Studying for 1st line role.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MetalTech, Jul 15, 2012.

1. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Hey all,

I'm back and just about to take my Network+ exam, which I am very confident in being able to pass. I have also passed my A+ back in February earlier this year. I am studying with the intention of landing a job in a helpdesk role or similar (seeing as I have customer service and call centre experience). Problem is, I am a little stuck in what to do next. I have applied to many jobs and to say the response is limited is an understatement!

Do you think it would benefit me to study 70-680 + 685 next as was my original intention, or should I just apply for jobs more often? I've heard the 70-680/685 are expiring July 2013, so I'm wondering if it would still be worth pursuing. Or would I be better off directly studying the subjects advertised in the majority of positions advertised, eg. AD, MS Exchange, ITIL. Or would they be too advanced for me to get certified in? (Although I do have a small amount of experience in AD).

Many thoughts and questions whirl around my mind, which I would rather were directed into something more productive...

Many thanks.

MT

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I would keep applying for jobs as you may just get lucky. AD and ITIL would be good places to start.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Thanks Beerbaron :) that's the general feeling I get whilst reading through these forums. Now I guess I need to look towards learning more about AD and ITIL. Are there any recommended MS AD certs for relative newcomers to it like myself? With ITIL I guess I'd be looking at the ITIL v3 Foundation 2011?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Honestly don't get too many certifications this soon into your career, the idea of certification is generally to prove your experience so getting certified too quickly can have a negative impact (Microsoft recommend 12 - 18 months experience with Server\Desktop technologies before attempting the exams, obviously you won't have that experience).

Instead you may want to have a look at the Microsoft MTA exams instead. They are aimed at entry level and as such won't look out of place on your CV (whereas the MCTS and MCITP certainly would do).

As far as ITIL is concerned, yes it's the v3 2011 edition that you will have to take, it's generally a very dry subject and tends to be common sense when you look at it but again that could be down to my 1x number of years experience.

Finally as far as getting experience goes, just play with the products, you can download trials of pretty much most of the Microsoft family and install it on something like VMware Player which is free. Nothing better than having hands on experience.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply SimonD!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with too many certs looking odd on my CV without experience. I've looked at the various MTAs on offer (specifically the Desktop Support path). There are four fundamental MTAs that look like they might interest me, Networking, Security, Windows OS and Windows SA. After briefly scanning the 'skills measured' for each exam I have gleaned the following.

Networking Fundamentals - most if not all seems to have been covered in Network+
    Security Fundamentals - a few new concepts to me here.
    Windows OS - again, a few new concepts.
    Windows SA Fundamentals - a few more than a few new concepts! (Although not included in the Desktop Support Path).

Maybe someone out there with experience of the MTAs can help me with my analysis on them.

I'm now looking around now for good study guides and material for these MTAs, and have replaced my VirtualBox with VMWare Player to hopefully get some more labbing in.

According to MS I should be ready for the likes of 70-680 onwards after meeting the requirements set out in their path...

Oh, and as for the ITIL, I'm going to read up on the foundation material. It should be nice to study something slightly different.

Thanks again :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. Parky

Parky New Member

I keep seeing a lot of contradiction on this subject which has actually made me stop studying the 70-680/70-685.

half the people i speak to tell me its a waste of time and will over qualify me, the other half says it will show great willingness to learn and impress employers.

7. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I think there is a fine line especially when you are just starting out with little experience/knowledge

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  8. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hey,
    The MTAs are nice entry level exams. SA = Server Admin?

The MTA OS is probably the simplest, being primary about the file system, interface, control panel and built in tool and apps.
    The MTA Networking is a Network+ lite. Similar level, similar content, just less of the Linux/3rd party stuff, and a lot fewer questions (35/36 as opposed to 100). If you've passed the N+ already, you can afford to skip it (or take it as something to slap on your CV that you're near guaranteed to pass!)
    The MTA Security is the S+ lite, with a general introduction to malware and protection in the Windows world.
    The MTA Server is probably the toughest of the ones you mentions, and looks at server functions, roles and configuration. Not easy if you've never touched a server - much easier if you get yourself VMware Player and play around some...

Unusually for Microsoft, all the MTAs ask pretty straightforward questions, and not too many of them. They're nice entry level exams. The only problem is finding a Certiport centre.
    Both views have some merit. Depends what stage you're at. If you've got some experience, you could just do the 680 and see how things play out from there? You'll learn stuff in the process. The 680 is tricky, yes, but it's the 685 whose parents were unmarried when it was written.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  9. Oro

Oro Bit Poster

Thanks for the info.

Just having a look on the MS website and it appears you can only take the MTAs if you are currently studying at an academic institution.

If that is the case I'm not sure it would be the best course of action for someone who's not in school and is trying to break into the industry. I may be wrong though and there is possibly someway around this that I'm not seeing at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Certifications: Comptia A+
  10. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Thanks for further replies and info guys!

Just a quick update, I have in this last week had an interview and have been asked back for a second one. I also have another interview on Friday for a preferred company. Both 1st line helpdesk roles, fingers crossed!

Thanks again! :-)