Studying Computer Science, Wanting to move into Support/Network

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ibsy123, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Ibsy123

Ibsy123 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I will be moving into the final year of my Computer Science degree in October. Once I graduate I want to move into the Networking / 1st Line Support field. I don't know why but I tend to feel more interested towards it. At university we tend to learn more of programming then networking. I know the basics of a computer such as rebooting, installing software / hardware, naming the components on a System and so on. Now because I am new I don't really what courses to take on..

I don't know if any of you have noticed but on Groupon there seems to be an offer for Cisco Certified IT Network Training Package for £99 (96% Off).
    Is that related or any good to what I am looking for. If it isn't what is best option for me? I appreciate all your help!

Thank You.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It would be if you were already in that line of work, certification is aimed at proving your ability, not using it to get a break into it.

If I were you I wouldn't get the training package just yet because ideally you want a couple of years experience and the CCNP is definitely not something you want to be doing now (it's part of the package).

Get some experience under your belt then look at certification like the A+, N+ or Microsoft MTA's then move onto the more taxing CCNA\MCITP etc.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Ibsy123

Ibsy123 New Member

Thanks for your reply mate.
    Does that mean the CCNP will be very complex for me?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Umm yes, it's the professional level certification that requires you to take a number of exams to gain, I really wouldn't bother with it until you have a few years under your belt.

Oh and if you do bother going for it I doubt very much that anyone would touch you without years of experience anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Ibsy123

Ibsy123 New Member

It's very difficult to gain experience, I am trying to gain voluntary work in secondary schools so I have some sort of experience..

- - - Updated - - -

What this course help me gain further knowledge? It is advertised on Cisco..
    PC Repair And Networking Package Offer Price: £99.00

PC Repair And Networking Package

PC Repair And Networking Package teaches students the competence in areas such as installation, preventative maintenance, networking, security, troubleshooting, customer service and communication skills to work with clients. After completing this course, students will know hardware, laptops, motherboards, processors, memory, CPU, troubleshooting theory, preventative maintenance techniques, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, cables, connectors, network types, SOHO network, security concepts, security technologies, viruses, malware, communication and professionalism.
    PC Repair And Networking Package measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional. It tests for the fundamentals of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism now required of all entry-level IT professionals.

PC Repair And Networking Package

By purchasing the complete Web Design and Programming Package you will receive the following modules: (Please click on individual modules for further course information)

Microsoft windows 7
    CompTIA A+ 220-701 Essentials & 220-702 Practical Application
    CompTIA Network+ 2009 Certification Training Course
    CompTIA Server+ Certification Training Courses
    Cisco CCENT Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Certification Training Course