Studying CCNA & Employment

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by chris2007, Nov 18, 2007.

1. chris2007

chris2007 New Member

Hi

I'm currently studying towards a CCNA cert, on a 1 year course at Shiney Row College UK. Will be qualified by July 2008. I have done a HNC but only passed the 1st year. I had to quit the 2nd year due to work commitments. I've been working in call centers in sales roles for banks and financial organisations for about 5 years, and am good at what i do, well i think as i have done well on the sales. But i am desperate to get basically a better wage. I am also self employed, suppose i could be described as an Entrepreneur. At the mo my current project is entertainment media.

My question is, from the brief summary above. What do you guys think of my chances in getting a job that would be CCNA related? And is being an Entrepreneur a potentially damaging attribute for employers when they are looking for employees? i.e getting the job.....

Any advice would be great!

Regards

Chris

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No way whatsoever. You need commercial experience before anyone will let you near Cisco kit. The general path is starting out in desktop support, network admin and then possibly on Cisco related work after that.

Id watch out for someone saying they are an entrepreneur when if fact they just talk bulls**t. Im not saying you do by the way! :biggrin

Have you applied for any IT jobs yet? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. chris2007

chris2007 New Member

Hi

I have applied to a few places asking if they consider taking people on who are working towards CCNA. Not had anything back so far?

I have spoken to the the head of IT where i work and has said he would train me up on there systems etc. but saying and doing are different things? They have just changed systems to exchange so i think it may be a good time to get involved with things within the company?someone with CCNA knowledge?

what u think?

Chris

4. Sparky

Is there any Cisco kit? Also chase up the head of IT, if he says he will train you up then ask when this will happen. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. chris2007

chris2007 New Member

As far as i know there is some cisco kit in the server room. but they don't let people in for obvious reasons so have nver seen it. also from what i can see there are a few potential improvements. perhaps something i can alert him to in the hope that he will see my skills and offer a position?

Chris

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

chris2007,

You have to also look at it from your company's perspective. If the network goes down in your "1 year course at Shiney Row College UK" then there's minimal financial consequence. However, if your company's network goes down, due to your desire for "real world experience" because you typed something wrong, the whole company might be affected financially, which may cost you your job. Also, as a CCNA student, would you be able to comprehend the network that might have been designed and implemented by a CCDA/CCNP/CCIE? You mentioned "...also from what i can see there are a few potential improvements. perhaps something i can alert him to in the hope that he will see my skills and offer a position?..." How do you know your "few potential improvements" are actual improvements that a CCDA/CCNP/CCIE didn't catch? One possible cause for network problems is due to a junior trainee thinking they know more than those who designed and implemented the network. This is why your company has their "...but they don't let people in for obvious reasons ..." policy. Do you know who the "authorized employees" to enter the server room? You may need to be promoted to that level before being allowed in.

What is your systems background?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I hate to break it to you, Chris, but Sparky is spot-on accurate with his assessment. :( Companies do not hire people without any real-world experience to administer networks, certified or not. You probably won't understand this until you actually work in IT for a while... but certifications do not qualify you to do a job in IT; only experience does. Certification can only set yourself ahead of your competition, provided your competition has an equivalent amount of experience.

To work on Cisco kit, you'll need to get some experience... and that means starting out with an entry-level job and working your way up. Your call center experience should prove quite helpful, as many entry-level IT jobs relate to help desk support in a call center environment.

If I were you (and I was, a long time ago), I would hold off on the CCNA, and pursue the A+ and Network+ certifications... and get an entry-level IT job NOW (even before getting the certifications) to start building that experience ASAP. In time, the CCNA will be worthwhile for you to get. But without real-world IT experience under your belt, the CCNA won't do you much good at this point in your career.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi Chris,

You can get jobs in IT without experience despite what people tell you. If you are persistent enough and show a good attitude and willingness to learn and I have seen this happen time and time again. You would have to start at the bottom and do all the stuff the other engineers hate but it is a start.

If you are an entrepeneur then it is unlikely you would be happy in a job and the process of gaining experience and qualifications can take years and experience working for several companies. Also, if you haven't taken any exams so far it may indicate to any employer that you are not sufficiently motivated to study.

Why not set yourself up doing something you enjoy? Entrepeneurs enjoy variety and being their own boss.

Paul

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Chris, judging from your current background I'd advice you start with the Network+ comptia exam and study this at home at your own pace.

This is what is often referred to on this forum as self study, you get the books and one or two desktop computers with VMWare Server installed and start learning and practicing.

In terms of experience, you can start looking for helpdesk 1st line call logging positions as they don't require indept experience. After you've done the above you can start looking up and onwards after one or two years of experience under your name. Cheerio and best regard in whichever route you decide. Keep us informed:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm sorry but we are telling the guy that he needs experience to work on CISCO equipment. We are not saying he needs experience to get a job in IT. Cisco is a couple of years down the line, being as you are an advocate of Cisco you would know that.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. chris2007

chris2007 New Member

hi

thanks for the input guys. I understand what you say when there is a reason why only certain people are allowed in the main server room, and the things that a "higher up" network engineer will have picked up on etc. working my way up etc. So from what i can tell i am basically wasting my time, and money doing the CCNA first?

i am in the process of changing my Cv to point towards a more IT background as am going to apply for a IT admin job that is going where i work.

Something that i am not quite sure to include, but should include? is:
    In part of my own business i designed, implemented, and maintain a database of well over 10,000 products, which include attributes such skus, prices etc etc etc. Intergrated data with suppliers, and other external entities, using access, and excel. As this is my own business, and my only real life IT experience that i can formally prove should i include it with my cv/cover letter. do you think from an employers point of view a person who is actively self-employed, and employed would be a bad thing, or a good thing in terms of getting the job. but this is the only real life IT experience i can say i have done..........

sorry for the long post

Cheers!

Chris

12. Sparky

Eh? We were only talking about Cisco related jobs. 8)

Difficult one mate, if you could migrate it to SQL server then that would be cool! :biggrin

13. chris2007

chris2007 New Member

hi

i suppose at this point of trying to begin a career in IT i am looking at this stage just to get experience.

any IT position would be good. preferrably a cisco one. but beggers can't be choosers. and from what i can gather, it don't look like i'm going to get a cisco position. but i will still try even if i get an interview for one, and don't get the job. at least i will have had the experience of the interview to better prepare myself for the future.

so i will keep trying, and one day it will pay off...............

Chris

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Paul's more interested in selling his Cisco training than providing quality advice. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!