Study with Others: Knowledge Sharing or Groupthink?

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Nov 18, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Study with Others: Knowledge Sharing or Groupthink?

It goes without saying that there are benefits from studying with colleagues to prepare for certification exams. When you bring in another person (or persons) with whom you can learn, you’re boosting the information available to both of you by aggregating the knowledge of multiple individuals. When you get together, you can share what you’ve learned through training and experience and use each other’s comprehension of technologies and techniques to succeed in your credentialing efforts. Yet, there is one pitfall of working with others: groupthink. For those not familiar with the term, it’s a deliberately Orwellian description of a group of individuals suppressing their own views and making their expressed opinions conform in order to “go along with the crowd” and “not rock the boat.” Decisions afflicted by groupthink often fail to take into account the full range of possible alternatives, employ very poor and selective research and inadequately address risks and objectives. Thus, the results of groupthink typically are unsatisfactory for everyone, even though each member approved of the methods and means involved.

Read the entire article at CertMag.com

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Hmmm, well this article could be likened to committees. I have sat on committees and I find them to be frustrating as nothing ever gets agreed, well not by me anyway.

I believe this last paragraph relates closely to our site here and others on the Internet. People with common goals, different backgrounds, varying levels of experience and qualifications all get together to confuse the hell out of each other :twisted: