1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study tips - Do you hand write your notes or type them?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Guvnor, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Hi guys

I wanted to ask when studying, what approach do you mostly take that you find works for you.

Do you hand write your notes or type them up. It's been a while since I studied and it's most likely I will hand write my notes and summarise from what I read and watch. Also is summarising good or do I need to have detailed knowledge.

What works for you?
  2. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Personally, I type my notes because I can type faster than I can write words out and editing is a lot easier if I suddenly find for example that Microsoft Press left a huge important chunk out of a process.

I can then copy technical sections of my notes in to Anki flashcards app for reviewing & testing large sections in a quick amount of time.
    Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

I read a couple books, watch few cbt, do a few labs, I just remember stuff mostly.

Stuff I find interesting tends to stick in my mind anyway.
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I found handwriting my notes to hold me back majorly, It wastes too much time.. I didn't take any notes when I revised for ITIL Foundation. I'm guessing you're thinking about how to note take for the A+? I think you should print out the objectives and add minutre notes or key words to each objective to help with memory/revision. I will probably use Microsoft OneNote to take my notes.
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Put a few notes into a Word doc with links to TechNet etc. Would also screenshot a few things (e.g. running dcpromo) when doing the MCSE back in the day.
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  6. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

I always used to hand write them but now I use one note for everything. It's a weird product I think but once you get used to it, it's very handy
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV