Study Time for the N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by shadowwebs, Jul 1, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I would like to crack on with the N+ study, how long does it take on average from start to finish... I can fit in a fair few hours a week to cram through and am planning on using Professor Messer as my main point of focus.

Am I right in that there is only on exam to pass for the N+?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

It depends on your experience and knowledge. If you are doing a few hrs a week I would give it a few months as you are better off being over prepared than under.

When I did the N+ it was just 1 exam but it may have changed since then.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I have been studying it on and off for about a month. I have learnt some stuff, and some of it I am already familiar with. I'd say I will be ready by end of July/August, so 2-3 Months depending on how much you study.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  4. shadowwebs

My original thoughts were around 2-3 months also so that's good in the thinking I had.

I was going to take the 70-680 but following advice on this forum, that it may be a better choice to take the N+ first so thinking of following this.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. BB88

I started with the 70-680 but steered towards the Network+ beforehand as well.

6. shadowwebs

I think the first area I am going to struggle to get my head around will be the OSI Table, with remembering where each device falls within... but pletny of practice will make this sink in enough for the exam.

7. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

I did the same. I thought it would be better to do N+ before I did 70-680...

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  8. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi, the N+ is just one exam, yes.
    I did it just over a year ago. Personally I did the 680 first, but that was because work were forcing me to do that one.

It's hard to say how long I spent on the N+ because I spent probably a couple of months studying it from the Mike Meyers book - then got a new job and had to retake the new A+ and do the 680, 685 and a couple of others, including the MTA Networking, alongside fulltime work, all within a few feverish half-remembered months - then I got back to the N+ and passed it within a few weeks.

The thing I remember most about it is that the questions are a breath of fresh air after Microsoft exams. CompTIA ask straight questions.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It took me 1-2 weeks, watched a CBT and took the exam, simples.

It was the older exam then, not sure what newer one is like.

CompTIA questions used to be simpler but badly written (ambiguous, poor grammar, etc) from my experience.

Memorize the OSI model layer order using a mnemonic, try and remember different transport media types and their limitations, learn the various basic commands for troubleshooting network issues.

10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away!

(Physical, Data link, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, Application)

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
  11. shadowwebs

I like Sausage Pizza so you have no fear of me throwing it away... but that's a very nice one to remember, and then just to remember what falls within each section.

12. BB88

I've got mine booked for 16th August. Currently reading the ExamCram and will be watching Professor Messer and doing Practice Exams leading up to it!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  13. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with the study!

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I studied a week (read one book from Mike Mayers) and passed the exam a few days later. Then again, I had many years of previous experience, which helped make 80% of the material quite familiar to me in advance.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  15. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I always remembered using:

All People Seem To Need Data Processing

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  16. kilgore

kilgore New Member

I remeber it with. A Priest Saw Two Nuns Doing Pressups
    Makes me chuckle and I never forgot it.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Network +, CCENT, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  17. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

that's what I remembered too.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  18. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I really like that one. It sounds natural and is easy, and funny, to visualise.

19. taquintana07

taquintana07 New Member

Didnt have any subnetting on it. Make sure you know your protocols. There are a couple simulations as well.

Certifications: A+, Sec +, Net+, MCPXP
    WIP: Server +, CCENT, ITIL