Study or Beer

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shadowwebs, Oct 18, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So, the mrs is out tomorrow night and I have presently got no idea what to do to fill my time.

Study or Beer?

As well as this BIG debate :) I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what the most desirable skills currently are in the ICT Industry as I would like to focus on these.

I have tried to speak to my current employer about what would be the ideal move for me to make to better myself, but as there is 0% of career prospects in this place, then it makes sense that I got no reply... isn't it just lovely that we get told many things to get us to join the company and then once we are in it all changes.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Being able to neck a pint of Guinness in less than 3 seconds would fit you into our office nicely.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. shadowwebs

Guinness Challenge sounds very good to me :) get me in

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Depends what area of the ICT Industry you are talking about?

Certifications: A few.
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

How about beer then study, or beer during study, or maybe as its friday just beer and bluray.

I think you'll find most places in IT have no prospects internally (your very lucky if you find one that does and doesn't just say it does). Suck up the experience and move on. As to what to do though, what do you enjoy. I know people who love doing desktop support and wouldn't want to move I equally know people who are like pigs in much when knee deep in cisco gear (that makes my eyes glaze over I'm afraid).

Have a think about what you do at the moment and what you have enjoyed learning the most about or working with and gravitate towards that. Its no good going for the big salaried IT occupations if it sucks your soul and anyway things are generally popular for a while and then the next big thing comes along and then its not.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I had my A+ and N+ before i got my first role which ive now been at 5 months. Im running a help desk for a small - medium sized company. I started my 70-680 Windows 7 studying aswell just as i started there and my boss basically told me after a month of being there to not bother with it and move onto something more advanced that's going to push me such as learning Exchange.

So that's what im trying to do at the moment. Got some VM's set up and just playing around with Exchange although ive gotta admit finding time and motivation to study after commuting home from the city is hard at the moment.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. shadowwebs

Well I think I will have around 4-5 hours of beer drinking including some studying tomorrow then :)

IT wise, it would be more of the desktop support, 2nd / 3rd line stuff.

8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I know we are all meant to nuture, but as I am taking my Mrs to see Ice Age (the Disney or Dreamworks thing) Live ice skating show in Cardiff after my exam, so you drink till you go blind, boyo!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. shadowwebs

I saw the Ice Age musical on ice advertised and I really do wonder whether it will be any good... please though tell me ade1982 that it was not your idea ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I have always known that Microsoft Access is a weak spot for me and I think I am going to start doing some studying and labs for creating a multi table value database... can anyone point me in the right direction for a free guide available?

10. shadowwebs

Plan for tonight decided, Borderlands and Beer... maybe a little studying

11. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

When I phoned my girlfriend to tell her about it being on Groupon, I was like "why are you telling her this, you need to get a grip on yourself"

Passed the exam anyway, so it's beer tomorrow!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  12. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Beer ... and X-COM :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  13. shadowwebs

which exam have you passed?

14. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

70-685

15. shadowwebs

Congratulations on the pass.

Should I be ashamed to say that I have already opened my first beer, well only 3 more to go from where that started :)

16. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

What you mean is Borderlands and beer..... and probably no studying! I usually have a couple of beers whenever I am studying - it makes the experience all the more enjoyable!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  17. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Once you become a master, you can do both :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs