Study Methods

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Davver, May 12, 2005.

1. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some advice from you peeps who have successsfully passed your A+.

I use my own methods but not sure if there would be a better way?

Any help would be appreciated

Davver

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well, I am probably in a different situation to most studying for their A+. I have been doing the kind of thing A+ is tested on for a long time now, so it was more of a refresher than anything else. I thought it was a good place to start in terms of getting some formal certification under my belt.

As for how I studied, well I got hold of one of the A+ video training CD's. Watched it through and made some notes as I went along. But what I found most useful was taking practice exams, then focusing on the questions I got wrong. That helped allot. I found Trancender tests very good. I booked my first exam using GetCertified4Less, and they do a deal were you can get a trancender test and an exam voucher together at a discounted price. Cost me about £117.00 when I converted it from dollars, which is about what the online price for a single exam is from Pearson VUE is anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

As Modey quite rightly said everyone has their own preferences on what they feel comfortable with.
    One tip I will give you is print out the objectives so when you have read your book (or books as I do) watched your videos, made memory cards for the things you need to commit to memory, go through the objectives and make sure you know each one in every shape and fashion.
    You can put notes next to them. They are good to take with you on exam day and read through them while you are waiting to keep your mind fresh.

Hopes this helps.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. dave57uk

dave57uk New Member

Hi Davver

Dont know if this is any help I read the obligatory Sybex course book & Mike Meyers All-In-One A+ cert, found the latter better. But still trawled 100's of pages & printed out applicable bits into manuals (due to the fact I'm a bit long in the tooth for this studying lark + over 45 goldfish memory syndrome crept up on me). One site you might find helpful is http://www.toggit.com/Aplus/Guide.asp as it seems to cover most things briefly & is handy as a pre-exam reminder.

Certifications: ECDL, A+ & Network +
    WIP: MCSA
  5. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Hi, I found the Mike Myers material very useful, big book but it does cover everything you need to know, also contains a disk with practice exams. Would be good for you to have a cheap computer that you could take apart as i think in this case there is nothing like a bit of hands on experience!

Good luck

:D

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I found flashcards to be really useful. Buy some address filing cards, on one side write an IRQ, DMA or i/o address (or anything else you need to learn) and on the other a description of what that address is used for. Start with just a few cards (and then add more as you improve), mixing them up, some face up, some face down. Work your way through them whenever you can, look at the top card, say out loud what it is and turn over to see you were right.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284