Study Help

Discussion in 'Network+' started by enohand, Oct 5, 2005.

1. enohand

enohand New Member

hey, im pretty new to this forum, i havent really posted before (no real need to) but i have been reading alot of other peoples post & i just recently recieved my A+ core & os cert's, & i go to a "tech" school "cittone institute" & we just finished the N+ course but the thinig is we went threw the microsoft verison of N+ in like 4 weeks & it was pretty vague, we really didnt go into detail at all, but the real "?" i wanted to ask was if anyone had any advice on studying for the N+ like i said i have microsofts version of the N+ but reading that book is like trying to fit square pegs in round holes if you know what i mean, any help will be greatly appreciative,

P.S.
    like i said i am a student i go to work 9-5 pc tech for UNISYS, & go to school from 6:30pm- 10:30pm, & money is a little tight so any "FREE" resources would be excellent!!! :twisted:
    Thanx Again :twisted:

Certifications: A+, "DELL" foundations 2005
    WIP: N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, enohand. Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace. I'm not sure what resource you are reading now. I wasn't aware that MS Press was producing a Network+ text unless you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_1/104-2361033-0331956?v=glance&s=books

However, that text is quite out of date and I don't believe there is a current version.

I don't know anything free that is also good. Be careful about what free resources you access on the Internet. More often than not, they are braindump sites that acquire their information by certification test takers who have violated their non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and posted what they remember about the questions and answers in the braindump site.

Like it or not, there's no substitute for a good textbook and some lab equipment to play with. This book comes recommended by some of the CF members who are studying for or have recently taken this exam:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_3/104-2361033-0331956?v=glance&s=books

I've never used it myself so I can't say how good it is, Sorry I can't help out further. Maybe someone else will come along soon with a more frugal solution for you.

BTW, when you get a moment, pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and tell us a bit more about yourself and how you found us. Cheers.

:)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. enohand

enohand New Member

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Never heard of it, but I haven't studied for the Net+ in awhile.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Weird - me neither. Why would MSPress write for a vendor-neutral certification ? :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know much about the book in question but I do have a request do you think you could put some punctuation in your sentences so they're readable.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. enohand

enohand New Member

are ya talkin to me???,
    what kind of punctuation do you want???
    periods so u know when to pause & give ur brain a rest??

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Woah there - let's take a step back here. Whether or not Freddy's request was valid is a separate issue, your response does not need to take the form of a personal attack, Enohand. Let's bear in mind this place is designed as a friendly Community for each to help the others.

Also, I must ask you Enohand - please reduce the size of the logo in your sig in accordance with the following, as stated in our Rules & Guidelines:

9. ffreeloader

LOL. Yeah, something like that. Old farts like me need some type of sentence structure to help out our feeble old minds.

10. enohand

enohand New Member

im sorry if it seemed like a personal attack on him but i do not understand how my post's arent readable., i made my sig smaller let me know if it is now ok..

11. enohand

enohand New Member

freeloader once again sorry if it seemed like an attack but at the time i was on lunch & trying to refresh 6 machines & re-image them & then one of the company personal from the site im working at came into the office & triped on wires & everything went "caput", once again im sorry,
    My apologies

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that, Enohand. The issue of punctuation is not a matter for me to interfere in, my point was simply that it should not become a personal issue on the public boards.

Also, thanks for reducing your sig somewhat. However, I would ask that you try and keep it within our general guideline of 270x100 pixels. I fit helps, I included the resized version below as an attachment. :)

Attached Files:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's not just you, enohand...there are a number of members that sometimes step outside the basic use of the English language (UK and US varieties) and the result is a difficult to read post.

I've been considering posting something about how to make submissions more reader-friendly but have held off for a few reasons. One reason is that we have members from all over the world. English is a second language to many and language skills vary. I don't want to penalize people because our forum operates in a language that isn't native to them.

On the other hand, I'm a writer by trade. I try to compose my posts the same way I'd compose any other type of content I generate...using sentences and paragraphs and hopefully the appropriate punctuation.

I know the nature of e-mail and instant messaging has tended to degrade the rules of English because we are trying to write messages very quickly and get them out. Also, a sort of "shorthand" has been put into place. "u r 2 kind" has replaced "You are too kind". The Internet has driven us to conserve keystrokes in our need for speed.

Finally, we forget that these conventions were made up to suit a particular communications environment and accept them as a standard writing style. After all, how many people actually compose a letter anymore when they can send an e-mail.

I'm old enough to remember a world without the Internet and personal computing (heck, I am old enough to remember a world without color TV, manned space flight, and microwave ovens). It's just easier for me to read text that has some sort of composition to it. Large blocks of text without punctuation is difficult to get through. That's why magazine and newspaper columns are written as they are; to make them easy to read.

I'm not aiming this at you, enohand but ffreeloader's post and your response did serve as a spring board for my response. CertForums is one of the most cooperative and friendly forums I've ever encounteered. One of the reasons is that we all try hard to get along and consider how the other person feels. While we aren't always successful, we do get along most of the time.

I hope you can receive these comments in the spirit they were intended. Cheers. :)

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Eno,

As i am making my way to becoming N+ certified i can personally recommend Mike Myers All in one Network+ and David Groth's Network+ by Sybex publishing.
    If you like a nice, "cant put it down read" go for Mike's. Having said that the sybex one makes a great reference.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. ffreeloader

Hey, no offense was taken. I meant nothing personal against you in my first post either. It was simply a way of both showing you how it is to read a post with no punctuation and a request asking for you to include some.

To show what I mean, as many times it's much easier to read what we wrote ourselves because we know what me meant, I'll write a few sentences your way, and then with standard punctuation. I think you'll see how much clearer and easier things are to read when punctuation is used. I'll just make up a nonsense paragraph.

I went to the grocery store & and bought some groceries & ran errands most of the day & I got tired of running errands & I went down to the barber shop & get my hair cut.

Compare the above to what follows.

I went to the grocery store and bought some groceries. Then I ran errands for most of the day. I got tired of running errands so I went down to the barber shop and got my hair cut.

See how much more clearly the second paragraph expresses things? How much easier it is to both understand and to read? Just a small amount of effort put into punctuation and wording makes all the difference in readability. It's especially true of writing about technical matters.

To tell the truth, on sites other than this one I have ignored requests for help simply because it was written so badly that I couldn't really understand what was being asked. Entire paragraphs written without any capitalization or punctuation basically become unintelligable to me. It becomes very difficult to understand where one thought ends and another begins.

All the above said, those here who have English as a second language have more communicating skills than I do. I can't speak or write a second language at all, so my hat's off to you.

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok. We're cool. :offtopic

17. enohand

enohand New Member

yeah back to the topic. I basically have some what of a basis for my studyies, being the book i should in the earlyer(spelling?) post, & the document that was pinned on the N+ main page. I was wondering besides going out & buying a book (money a little tight) any "GOOD" online resources availiable??

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Wish I could help you, enohand. I know what it's like to live on a budget but anything free on the Internet is pretty lame.

RAD University used to be pretty good but I haven't used them in quite some time. You can give it a whirl to see if it helps. It doesn't map to the Network+ exam, but it is free and it does teach networking.

19. enohand

enohand New Member

thanx alot trip, much ablizged (spelling?) :)

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries. I'll have to talk to Si about adding a spell checker to the forum.

earlyer(spelling?) = earlier

ablizged (spelling?) = obliged

I use Google as a cheap, quick spellchecker on words I'm unsure of (like "obliged"). I type the word in the search field and assuming I'm wrong but close, Google will return: Did you mean word? :wink: