study for the 70-433

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by harag, Jul 13, 2010.

1. harag

harag New Member

Hi all

I've recently bought the following from Amazon:

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-433): Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Database Development

I've been playing around with SQL for around 8 years now (started with SQL 2k) and in my current job been using it more and more, so I thought I'd look into doing some exams and become certified (want to change my job and go down the SQL developer route) so I've picked the 70-433 one to do first. I hope that if this is achieved I can still go for developer jobs in 2005 as the main language hasn't changed. I also plan on doing the other courses so any advice on which would be helpful.

As I can't afford to do a six day 12hr a day type course (around 3,500 POUNDS) I've chosen self study the first one.

My concerns are
    1. WHERE do I actually take the exam? - Note I live in the UK - in Yorkshire
    2. How much does it cost? (in sterling)

Also does anyone have any advice on the above study book / method?

Thanks for any help / advice.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I took the 2005 version of the Exam, it was pretty easy compared to other MS development exams.

Prometric and Pearson Vue are the two major test centre companies in the UK, they license third party companies who actually carry out the testing.

Microsoft has a sole supplier agreement with Prometric so you will have to go to one of their test centres.

http://www.prometric.com/

Look around their site.

Self study is a valid option, you should have experience for most MS certs however, which in your case you have.

The microsoft cert site explains the options.

Read book, practice labs, use measure up test, book then take exam, simples.

MS exams normally around £90.

Never seen a 'SQL Developer' position advertised, SQLServer is very user friendly, so generally it gets lumped in with other responsibilites, unless your a DBA maintaing a cluster etc.

So in reality you're likely to be doing either support with very small amounts of DBA work or Development with reasonable amounts of DB design/development work.

To get the development jobs you will generally need C++, VBA, VB, VB .NET or C# knowledge.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  3. harag

harag New Member

Hi DMarsh

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I will visit the Prometric site today and have a look around. thanks for the link.

As for "SQL Developer" - I've been looking on the ITJobBoard site and they are listing just this title - but I have seen others where they require programming knowledge. I've also played around with DBA type stuff - backups / SSIS but again, this has all been self taught in my spare time.

I've already done VB & VBA, ASP, HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery - but not really ventured much into .Net (but I'm also learning that - C# .net3.5 - I can read other peoples code in .net and understand what it's doing and finding it easy to pick up the basics.

Thanks again.

4. eralper

eralper Bit Poster

SQL Server and other Microsoft products are now more interrelated and .NET is forming a base for developers working on different Microsoft software products.

You probably know you can even create procedures, triggers, functions, etc written in .NET in SQL Server 2005 and later.

Since .NET developers have at least basic sql programming experience and skills on T-SQL, it is easy for them to get more experienced in details and in SQL Server administration topics.

By the way, you can read my 70-433 SQL Server 2008 Development exam review and my points on this exam.

5. Igor Licis

Igor Licis New Member

Hi everyone! I`ve just started to study with this kit, and found a ploblem to find file (PracticeSetup.sql), which is asked in exercise on page 54. Can anyone help to deal with this problem?