Study/Career Path

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by rich1212, Dec 21, 2009.

1. rich1212

rich1212 New Member

Hi guys,

I was after a quick bit of advice. I'm nearing the time to take the A+ exams, hopefully in Jan or Feb. After that, I've got lined up the MCDST, followed by the three certs for ASP.NET web development (70-536, 70-562, 70-564 - via Computeach - yeah, I know hehe...)

As you can see, I'm studying these to get into web development, which is what I'm most interested in. The A+ and MCDST were there to get an entry into the industry, by way of desktop support etc. However, I'm rethinking my approach a bit. Is there any point in really doing the MCDST after A+, if I'm not really interested in tech/support enough to want to follow it for a while? It will delay me starting the web dev stuff again, and of course the sooner I get into that the sooner I can start the job hunt in development.

I think I've pretty much answered my own question, to leave the MCDST and get straight into the dev stuff. Are there any benefits I would get though by doing the MCDST that I can't currently see? Would it make job searching/applying etc easier down the line? Any words of advice etc would be greatly appreciated, as I've picked up lots of good info and tips from this forum over the last couple of years from you guys.

Cheers, Rich.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from your post and interest which lies in dev I would not go for the MCSDT and concentrate on the web dev side of things.

I suppose you can also start looking for entry dev work and possibly start building a web site or app you can show off to a potential employer. To be honest the experience gain coupled with the relevant certs would open you more doors.

Best wishes and keep on plugging away:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Meh. Why not start building up dev experience now and keep an eye out for dev jobs that may arise. I have no certs, no dev qualifications, and I'm doing fine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I too got through 10 years of my IT career before getting a single cert :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Write code, deliver, rinse and repeat... :D

Certifications are purely optional...

6. rich1212

rich1212 New Member

cheers for the feedback guys...

WIP: CompTIA A+