1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study and Motivation

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by noel123ie, Jun 24, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi all

Just wondering how many hours those of you are studying are spending hard at it these long Summer days?

I try and do 2-3 hours per day but hard very hard 8)

So looking for some motivation and ideas of how many hours ye put in

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Currently...four to five, but I'm hardcore (and it's interesting). I'm studying 70-621 which is an amalgamation of two exams (the 70-620 and the 70-622) so I need to study more for it.

On a normal day, with a normal exam, two or so.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not enough, my study time took a nose dive after our second child came along :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have had Man Flu for the past week, so the best I can do is read some of the CCENT, whilst drinking copius amounts of tea and moaning about why no one understands how ill I feel.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Trying to treat it like I'm on a course but damn difficult due to RL distractions/problems and the fact that I "get" the overview but am having trouble getting the detail to "stick" - must be an age thing ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Not enough and i resit 70-270 tomorrow morning - eek!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's not a fixed amount for me per day, but I'm doing at least 2hours of going through a CBT and quite a bit of implementation and hands on stuff at work since we are using a 2K8 quite a bit here. I'm also playing around in my 2K8 lab while watching the CBT's to re-create stuff that's being shown etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

you should be giving courses you seem to have a lot of work done to get this far!

how long are you in IT?

Noel

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

13 months in total 8)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

how did you do all the study for these in 13 months?

thats unreal what is your secret :)

noel

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

He suffers from Enlarged Brain Syndrome ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Knowing where I wanted to be and knowing what it takes to get there.

Pushing every day to do the best I could, even studying whilst on holiday!

Having a large amount of discipline and an understanding wife, who wants me to get back to earning the big bucks again :D

Plus, perhaps the most important thing, enjoying what I'm learning and doing.

Edit: I have bumped my First Year In IT Post for you mate.

13. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

I'm working full time at the moment

So it's a case of studying for about 6 hours or untill i cant take any more in when im back from work

On my day off I can be at it all day , again untill I feel I cant take any more in

Originally found getting the motivation and drive really hard but once I got that it's been a case of sticking at it, keeping the tv off, turning off programs like msn messenger etc, anything that could be a distraction

Also I've got a very understanding wife !:biggrin

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  14. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I cannot study for more that 2 hours, my concentration just goes (where, I hear you ask?) Everyone is different, I just chip away at the book. 30 minutes is better than 0 minutes. just keep up the work make sure you do a few study sessions in a week.

My motivation? I'm learning a new job that I enjoy, I need to get to a certain level of fundamental understanding to be a good tech, this is the balance between on the job stuff and certs.

Plus, I have had some really sh!tty jobs in the past and I never want to do the like of that again!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I do 2 or 3 20 minute session per day, when I have the time that is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I study for 4 hours on both Monday and a Wednesday, and for 6 hours each on Saturday and Sunday.

I cant revise everyday of the week, as i start to feel myself not looking forward to studying. I feel that taking Tuesday, Thursday and Friday keeps me fresh for when i am studying.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291