Study advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by shaggy, Mar 18, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Hi, quick question

im not much of a 'read a book cover to cover and take notes' kinda guy, ive never used that method to study for anything, so i was wondering, shall i just splash the cash for the time4training videos and then use my meyers 6th edition to cross reference parts i dont understand fully or parts on the objectives list that isnt covered so well in the videos? i find watching videos a much better way to learn than reading

also, i can cover 3 chapters a week (doing 3 nights study per week) that includes taking notes, in your opinion is this an ok route to take if i stick with just the book?

sorry about the stupid questions, just wanted some advice haha

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Everyone has a different way of studying, some study with book, or CBT's, or evening classes, etc. The majority of people however combine the different ways of studying to suit them.

If you feel more confident with using CBT's and then cross referencing them to the book, go for it. If you jusy study the book because you have to, you won't take alot of info in.

One thing that I will say is that regardless of whether or not you choose one method of study over another, make sure you get some hands-on experience to re-enforce what you learn, by playing around with 1 or 2 old pc's.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

thanks for the reply

also, as for hands on experience i have over 2 years of working inside PC's and networks from a BND course in systems support and networking already, but i am trying to find an old PC never the less

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Try these

I love these little boxes for study - I picked up a job lot of eight of them about four years ago for less than 200 quid. The RAM & other spares are dead easy to find and dirt cheap - and four years later they're all still happily humming away performing one function or another in my lab.

As far as I'm concerned, they were the biggest bargain I could have hoped for when studying, get yourself four of them with a KVM for 200 quid and you'll be laughing

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security