Stub Zone, Zone transfer!?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Starting to re-read the chapters I fell down on, one thing that has just sprung up is does a stub zone perform a zone transfer!? I know when you create it it copies the SOA, NS and possibly A record for dns servers but is what it does actually called a zone transfer.

Also how does it work I assume it checks the increment the same as a normal zone transfer?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

think my brain is back in GMT...

The Stubzone has an SOA record and the NS glue records. When you add a stub zone to a DNS server you would need it to zone transfer to get the NS records. The stubzone does update the NS records automatically unlike the delegated zone which is alll manual for NS records. So a stubzone must zone transfer based off SOA record settings. Also i would bet its an incremental zone transfer IXFR (?).

If im wrong think i will reread some 70-291 before i kill my lab :D :rolleyes::p:blink

edit: Forget it depends on whether the stubzone is AD intergrated or not. For AD intergrated it will use AD replication

^ my structure sucks, but im good at maths, not english :D.

3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks Hippy i was wondering if they would call that a zone transfer but i think as you say it would perform an incremental one so yes it would. Thanks matey

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing