Struggling to revise

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 25, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As most of you know because of my finances I havent been able to take my A+ exams yet although I plan to take them on the 31st I will be booking on Friday once I have confirmation of my pay.

I am however struggling to revise I can pass all the practice exams I have, and I keep thinking of questions I may be asked and the answers but as I have gone through the books about 3 times each I struggling to pick them up again.

Anyone got any tips?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cram session can be helpful if you just need to brush up on the key points.

http://www.cramsession.com/default.asp

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

I have the free cram sessions printouts which I got before anything else, I havent read those since I got the books I'll have another look through them tonight.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think you've revised enough. Just sit back and take a little breather. Also, what I do is read the cramsession the night before the exam and then go to bed for a good nights sleep.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. greenbrucelee

good idea I think I'll try that.

6. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

GBL Just chill a bit, the A+ really isnt that hard, know your basics, what everythign does and what problems could arise from it going wrong, learn yoru IRQ's and CPU Sockets and you'll be fine

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  7. greenbrucelee

I need to brush up on my IRQs a bit.

8. Jon79

Jon79 New Member

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. On that note, how much does the test cost? :biggrin

You're at the stage i will hopefully be at in a few months time. When i do get there i'll be telling myself i have two chances to pass the test. That way i won't put so much pressure on myself the first time i'm sitting the exam.

What books did you read? Right now i'm hoping A+ Certification Sixth Edition (All-In-One) by Mike Meyers is all i need.

Certifications: GNVQ I.T. & HND in Business I.T.
  9. greenbrucelee

I read the Mike Meyers book aswell as PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles (Tripwire45 on CF) the exams cost £110 each + vat but if you buy two international vouchers from gracetechsolutions.com the two vouchers cost £107 each.

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You'll do fine mate. Make sure you read the questions fully, and leave yourself the time to go over them again.

By the way, have you booked yet?

11. Jon79

Jon79 New Member

Thanks GBL. Question is would the PC Technician street smarts book be enough on it's own? Something tells me i should read the Meyers book first then consider using the street smarts book as an overview? Is that about right?

12. greenbrucelee

Read all of the Mike Meyers book. The PC Technician street smarts is a book with real world scenarios in it and exercises you can practice that you would face as a technician such as installing PSUs, reseating dimms and graphics cards and creating Users and account privelages I can't recommend it enough.

Anyway I booked the exams both on Monday :blink

13. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

You'll be fine. You've done the work, there's only so much you can do.

One thing I did before I took my A+ was write out a cram sheet of all the stuff you can't remember or have difficulty remembering (like IRQs), I went over it and over it and then read through it just before I took the exam. Then when I was in the exam room wrote as much of it down as I could remember on the sheet of paper they give you.

Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Way to go!! I'll be thinking of you mate. 8)

15. Jon79

Jon79 New Member

Cheers, i'll order Meyer's book now to get me started and good luck on Monday! Relax today and tomorrow and then plan nothing but revision all day Sunday, that way it will be fresh in your mind come Monday.

16. greenbrucelee

Thats a good idea, cheers :)

Cheers :)

I should be ok I just don't like any sort of exams I'll do some reading Saturday and Sunday before Monday and I'll review some notes before going in.

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hide the computer games and movies so they don't become a distraction, put your mind to it and concentrate:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. greenbrucelee

Will do Onoski :)

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Sounds like your going through the motions of any normal person who is study a cert.

I agree with what's been said here, I also raised a thread on A+ revision suggestion and that was a week before the exam. Malmates gave some execellent advice. :hhhmmm I see if I can find the original thread in the CF archives:biggrin

Anyway, have a beer mate, chill out. try and relax and have ago at revision tomorrow. If your still stuck, then why not raise a thread in the A+ section call it A+ quiz and ask the CF members here questions on A+. If you have made concise notes of your revision, you should be able to make them into questions. That way you don't break any copyrights (questions taken from MM word for word) and also you can gets some feedback from members here who have done A+ and forgotten about it and members who are in the same boat!

Give it go..what have you got to lose?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Confidence, GBL. You already know the material, that's evident from some of your posts. And you've already received quite a bit of solid advice for exam day, I won't repeat what others have said. The only thing different that I might suggest is to cram on any weak points until Saturday, take a break on Sunday as well as getting a good night's sleep, you need to be fresh and alert for the exam, then do a quick review of your notes before the exam on Monday just to give you a little kick-start. You'll be fine.

Cheers