struggling to get entry level job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dirt, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dirt

dirt New Member

hi all, hope you're all doing well.
    it's been a while since my last post cus i've been busy trying to get my first job in IT.
    i studied for the a+ and n+ and finished the course last year then revised for my exams and passed them in the end of january.
    i've joined loads of job sites and applied for around 140 jobs, some above my station (worth a shot right?) and some for entry level stuff.
    i've had 6 companies interested but only two gave me interviews. the first was really nerve racking sat at a big hexagonal table opposite 3 important people. it didn't go that well and i got the feeling they were basically saying i had no experience and should get microsoft certified. they didn't have the decency to even let me know.
    the second went really well and i seemed more suited to the position. they seemed very interested and said lots of great things (noone else had my qualifications, good that i had n+ too cus it would come in handy) etc.
    but still a know go. i went for a grad position 3 nights ago just for the hell of it but they kindly said no.
    i am seriously loosing faith here and still fitting windows in the rain for no money with pigeon pooh down my neck etc.
    any advice from anyone would be........well at this point........a well needed boost.
    thanks for listening................over to you jerry.

cheers

dirt

Certifications: a+ n+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

We have all been there mate, so try to stay positive about the whole thing.

On the plus side you have had some interviews, this means your CV is doing the business and each time you have an interview you will gain some valuable experience.

Why not add a MCP to your list of certs? Wont do any harm! :biggrin

Best of luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They were basically saying that you have no experience... and you don't... that's why you should focus on entry-level jobs. Sure, it doesn't hurt to apply for jobs over your position... but when you're called into interviews, be prepared to accept questions related to your lack of experience. Microsoft certification is great... but it won't help a lack of real-world experience.

The problem with applying for jobs on online job sites is that EVERYONE applies for them. Same for newspaper job listings. Since everyone applies for them, your competition is fierce... and unless you shine like the sun (which isn't likely without experience), you're likely to be passed over.

So how do you get noticed? Find those "hidden" IT jobs that are out there... jobs that AREN'T listed online or in the paper. How do you find them? Techs who are already in the industry. I'd know about a job at my company LONG before the job was posted... sometimes even before the position was created! If we needed an entry-level tech, I'd tell my boss, "Hey, I know a guy who might be able to come in and hit the ground running. He doesn't have any experience, but he's smart, and he's A+ certified." THAT'S how you get those hidden IT jobs.

If you don't know anyone in your area, go out and meet some. Join IT professional groups in your area, if there are any. People on this very forum are great resources as well... I got my book deal indirectly by knowing people on the forums.

If all else fails, go door to door, handing out resumes to companies even if they don't have a position posted. The worst thing they'll do is say "No"... but all you need is ONE "Yes".

Getting your first IT job is likely the hardest thing you'll ever do in IT. Get your foot in the door, and you'll begin building that valuable experience that employers want. You can do it!!! Stick to it, and don't give up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The other posts are absolutely correct you really only have two options, get creative or get better educated, why not do both ?

The simple fact of the matter is you are entering a market in competition with other people. Many new grads enter the market every year in june/july, they will be applying for exactly the same positions and they've spent 3 years learning computer stuff full time, they will be considered more qualified.

So you have to up your job search as mentioned. Also your best chances statistically in terms of the job boards is going to be when alot of other people aren't looking. Since you don't know when the big break will come the best you can do is keep trying various different approaches, while also making sure you are well prepared, continue to train, maybe even take a formal qualification.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

Best of luck ! :D

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also agree with what's been said here. Also you if you can try getting an internship somewhere around your area for a short period if you are having issues find a job. I know thats how I got my job, do to an internship.

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

I know what your going through mate. All you can do is peservere and keep studying. When i was trying to get my 'foot in the door' i was on recruitment websites for months and months, then i got a job through a family member. Just remember theres more to job hunting than browsing the web.

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  7. lawjm

lawjm New Member

I have been looking for two years still no luck:(
    I have 2yrs IT experience but outside of this country.
    I hope gaining certs will get me more interviews even though i have a Masters in IT

Certifications: Bsc MSc A+ Network+
    WIP: MCDST, ccna
  8. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Where you born outside of a country where the first language is english? If so, what english certifications do you have? IELTs, TEM8 etc...

9. lawjm

lawjm New Member

Yes I was born in an English-speaking country:).Moreover I got my degrees in the UK. Therefore, I am au fait with the English language, so this is certainly not an issue for me.

Certifications: Bsc MSc A+ Network+
    WIP: MCDST, ccna
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I feel for you mate. Thge only advice I can give you is maybe as someone has said go for an MCP as employers look for them over A+ and Network+ in my opinion. Also I don't know your financial status but maybe doing some voluntary work will help as employers see this as commercial experience and that your eager to get on in IT. I went down the route of voluntary work and whilst I only did it for a couple of weeks I think it still helped me get my first job in IT. Also look for short PC roleout contracts as they will a lot of the time just take anyone (that wasn't meant to be a slur, just that it might be an easier way to get some commercial experience).

It's not easy to get into IT and I still struggle sometimes in getting contracts after 4 years as employers move the goal posts all the time but just keep plugging away mate and eventually something will turn up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011