Strike two

Discussion in 'Security+' started by mrobinson52, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

On Friday I had to take the Security+ because of a voucher, and I knew I was not ready since I had not had time to study since my mom was visiting for the holidays. The first time I tried it was also a voucher thing, and I was even less prepared.

I missed this time by 40 points, so it was not as bad as the first time. The thing that threw me was the half dozen questions on port numbers. This is a Security test, not Network+. It felt like they were recycling some of the N+ questions...

The questions came at me in batches that were on the same topic, almost as if it were adaptive, but I know they are not doing that these days. I think after this next semester, I will be more ready for this test. I will also make sure to study first. :oops:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You'll knock it out of the park next time, Mary. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Tough luck Mary but thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You were brave to sit an exam with or without a voucher IMHO.

How did you get the voucher btw?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm sure you'll nail it next time Mary. 8)

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Gutted for you Mary, I'm about to take my Security+ in the next week or two but I'll let you know how I get on with it. I'm sure you will crack it next go.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

I am confident you will pass the exam next time!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

I bought the discount voucher from GetCertified4less
    which also has International discount vouchers. There had been a bit of a panic that CompTIA was going to discontinue allowing third parties to sell the discount vouchers, but it seems that they still can. Considering how expensive the CompTIA tests are, a discount voucher is the only way to go.

And if you get on the mailing list at GetCeritified4less, they will occasionally have special deals for vouchers that are due to expire, so if you are ready to take the test with only a two day notice, you can really save a lot. To be legal, all vouchers have to come bundled with training material.

The cheapest options are the ones with material from TCat Houser. If you would rather have practice exams with the voucher, it is more expensive, but the combined cost of the Transcender and voucher or MeasureUP and voucher is still a significant savings over buying either separately. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Mary :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

you gotta know port numbers for this exam, and to be honest, you can't claim to know security if you don't know port numbers as how else can you set up an access control list on a router to block certain traffic types?

Yes, there's overlap with network+, but then again, theres overlap between network+ and a+ also...

but at least you certainly know now that its a very straightforward exam - so you'll surely fly thru it next time

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Better luck next time Mary :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

It occurs to me that there's a fairly significant overlap between ALL comptia exams, but that's a good thing! :biggrin

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE