Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kat731, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    right, how come i always get the weird problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:x
    Put together a machine today, 800mhz/256ram. 20gb hdd. Started no prob, no beep probs etc. Had xp home on hdd, straight into o/s, fine no issues..
    So, thought i would put xp pro on clean. Boot from cd, get to starting windows, then... Windows did not find any hard disks attached to your computer!!!!!!!!!! WHAT??
    Its in the bios, windows was working ok............
    take out the cd, resets-post screen says.. primary-none??? reset, primary-none!!!! Pull the power plug, restart, hdd primary is back in bios, o/s starts fine????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:x
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

You say that you put a machine together and the HDD had home on then decided to install Pro clean :rolleyes:
    When XP is installed on a PC it works alongside the BIOS for configuration.
    I take it from what you have said that you booted the PC up with home all was OK and then you wanted to install Pro :unsure
    If this is the case you can either install the Pro disc while on the Home desktop and choose "install" or go into the BIOS set the Boot order to CD ROM first and boot from the CD.
    Hope this helps let us know how you get on :thumbleft
    It could also be that the BIOS is loosing it's memory as as you have just put it together you might not have noticed the clock loosing time.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Boyce,

yeh i thought that as the clock did say 2001, so i swapped the m/b battery, but still doing it, i'll try another battery.
    Yeh i could do the upgrade from within win, but want to solve this.
    Kat

4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ummmm....

tried a different batt. Set the time same as my clock in room, see if it loses time. maybe if it does it could be a bad PSU??
    Kat

5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Alright, tried a different HDD, perfect, loaded from unattended CD no prob.

Ummmm. Now on the first HDD with the problems, i know i said it had XP Home,so, it was stating that XP must be activated in 5 days. Would that cause anything problematic? Anyway, i'm zeroing that HDD and then try a CD Boot install and see if it happens again!!
    Kat

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What you could try to start with is to fdisk the mbr before you boot with the cd. I have had similar symptoms where windows couldn't find any boot device due to a corrupt mbr. I fdisk'ed it, and no more problems.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685