[Strange] PC Repair Shop Setup [Question]

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Revolate, Feb 22, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's faaaaabulouuus!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Not like you to make spelling mistakes Jon. You haven't put the wig away have you? :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Must have been a typo in the book I read... :rolleyes:
    And I'm typing with both fingers now!

Either that, or I had gays on my mind for some reaon.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

LOL. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Just like to say thankyou all who've given me advice. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  6. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

I've thought of quite alot of services, so if anyone has any they think would be good, feel free to leave suggestions.

Note: Techguys are damn expensive amirite? :dry Installing ram costs £15 quid, excluding buying the ram itself surely thats day light robbery. :rolleyes: To install an O/S costs £70 excluding the cover of the O/S would i be stupid to offer 50% off lol? but seriously the prices are crazy, yet simple to do.

7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

That's why they run successful businesses mate; Have you ever tried charging someone for 6 minutes and 39 seconds work? It just doesn't happen like that.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought the prices were ok tbh. To install the O/S properly can take a couple of hours with the correct drivers etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

On top of that add pro-rata cost of all your bills and to make up for the time you're actually not doing anything so the business is not at a loss and there you go.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are just looking at the labour side of this. There is far more work involved, to make the sale, you would firstly have some overheads, costs of advertising, rent, electricity, gas, petrol, rates etc. Then there is the cost of accounting, invoices, stock management etc. And for larger organisations there is the salary budget, which can be mind bogglingly big :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah, i've got quite alot of it covered, but i agree 100% with you! I could still beat there prices though, I mean i'm 17, not 30+ and i don't need to support a family or pay board :twisted:. I could take my CBT and use my motorbike as transport, £5 for a week is awesome. :D My uncle happens to be a major accountant thing of Barclarys in london, so i'll give him a call tomorrow for some advice for that. :dry

I'm quite tierd so if i've just made a fool of myself then so be it! :biggrin

12. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello mate and everybody.

I must say I'd wish to have your courage and or "innocence", I must say I can't quite choose the word, nevertheless I must give you some credit, I think.

I have been building and repairing pcs for 14 years now and believe me when I say that I do not know everything. I am always learning. I am trying to step into the IT industry as it's my passion, especially in the networking part of IT. It has been a very long bumpy road. Done a 2 year Cisco CCNA course, doing my CompTIA A+ now and as mentioned before, always learning. I haven't yet managed to get myself an interview for a job on IT, whatever job and whatever pay.

I have my full day time job, doing something that I absolutely hate but hey, it pays for the bills and I can still save half of it fortunately. I do my computer services part-time, whenever I can fit them. Out of office hours, weekends, etc... and to install an OS on a system with its current drivers I charge between £30 to £40 depending they have the drivers disks or not. If there's more software to be installed it can go up to a total of £50.00. I do NOT go to any customer's house for less than £20.00. Most of times if it has to be a clean install with no recover CDs or partition this can go for a good couple of hours and sometimes more. Try to install a clients windows XP with SP2 and then have all the updates online over an O2 USB internet, you could be there for hours. If costumers want me to charge them by the hour the it's £20.00 an hour. All these figures are just for private clients not companies. So far I must say that I think I do a great job as people keep coming back and referring me to others. I am being pushed by these customer, mostly friends, to open a shop but at the age of 32, I am no longer the innocent one I once was and I am well aware of all that involves and if I do venture yet again, I will most definitely NOT have premises as I know I can manage this from the comfort of my office at home and would target small to medium business. I think that if you want to provide services just to the private sector then you are getting ready for that old "My computer was fine till you install that software" scenario. I have been there and seen it myself.

The best of luck and let us know how you'll do. Once again, you have had a bad example from your dad, I have lost mine, and I find it overwhelming that you want to do better for yourself. Good for you mate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  13. BosonMichael

I believe Revolate's gonna have to experience this firsthand before he truly believes it for himself. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Mate, come on, when we were 17 did we do any thinking? lol...

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  15. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

All very reasonable prices I think (should be as well considering the monkeys they employ). What you have to realize is that as soon as you touch their computer (even before you've taken the case off) every problem with the computer no matter how small will be directly atributed to what you did that day 4 years ago. Depending on how IT literate you actually are I dont think it would be worth charging these kinds of prices for work (i.e. you will end up making a huge loss at this rate). PC World et al are driven by branding, there will always be people flocking to their shops because they dont know any different and expect to buy computers etc like they would any other consumer product.

As the others have said unfortunately your youth will count against you in running a business, and right now people are clinging onto jobs for dear life let alone starting up new businesses.

Still I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully your business will grow.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  17. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

I take everything on board and can't thank everyone enough who have contributed :D, and have quite good ideas so far, and i've had words with the guy thats funding me, hes sending a business man around tomorrow he's suppose to be very successful, and i'm staying up late to work everything out tonight. I'm probley not going to setup a shop as of yet, maybe look somewhere i can pay half the rent for my own little corner and get the word out, advertisement etc. Could be worse i could just randomly setup a shop with out doing research, and make it fail drastically. Oh he also said he isn't bothered if it fails. (At this point your probley thinking wtf crazy fool :eek: ) but i probley come from a total different background then most of yous. :rolleyes:

Needless to say i am going to give it ago, 100%! If it goes wrong then it goes wrong. Oh and don't worry if it goes wrong i'll inform you all of how it all failed and you can all have a little laugh. But as long as i know i tryed thats all that matters. I'm taking all the advice i can get, and hoping to counteract those problems as best as i can. :dry

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This sounds a bit weird, is this guy gonna give a to55 then?

At the end of the day its really up to you to make this work whatever way you go about it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

100% behind me mate, providing infomation and setting me up with people to meet to discuss things, i've told him it could fail but it seems money doesn't really bother him. :eek:

20. BosonMichael

...until it actually happens...