Strange issue with DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 12, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I insert a disk the drive is reading it but the application does not start, My computer doesn't show anything inside the drive, however if I go to my programs and start the application the disk is associated with it starts.

Device manager is reporting it is ok

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Something to do with the autorun options? Are you still running XP mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

I'll have a look again at auto run but I'm sure its all on. Yep still on xp

4. greenbrucelee

I have tested auto run and it's on, I have checked the connections and I have also went to a restore point from earliier today when I know it was working.

I am really stumped now and help appreciated.

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

greenbrucelee,

Have you checked the compatibility of the DVD drive with the DVD disc? e.g. DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, etc.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. greenbrucelee

They are all discs which have previously worked in it, the drive runs all formats.

I'll get a lense cleaner today after work & see if that works

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi GBL

Does Autorun work with any other things, like if you attach a flash drive for example, or does it seem to just fail with these DVDs?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. greenbrucelee

It's just with the discs, whats strange is if I put the disc in and click on the application in the program menu it starts up (apart from one of them). If I leave it you can hear the disc is being read and even see a disc icon spinning then it dissappears and my computer doesn't show anything in the drive.

I went into auto run and set it to restore defaults so it should auto run.

9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I had a similar sounding issue a while ago. If I put a disc in, it would spin, I could hear it whirring, but it would not autoplay at all, either from the application itself of the Windows pop up that prompts you to do something. Also, it wouldn't show up on My Computer as being in the drive (oddly enough, it only ever did if i restarted the PC with the disc still in the drive, then if I opened My Computer the icon would be that of the disc)

I tried every solution I could find to get autorun working, but to absolutely no avail. To my understanding, it was a registry conflict. Something - Lord knows what though - that I had installed had caused a conflict somewhere along the line in the registry. Truth be told, the only way it got working again is when I re-installed XP and therefore got a clean registry out of it, you are lot more knowledgable than me though so hopefully you can finda way without doing that!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. greenbrucelee

I'll have a look at that as I have seen registry solutions for it on the tinternet, thing is all I have installed when it was happening was an xp update, but when I rolled back it didn't do anything. I'll have a look at the registry and see if autorun is switched of in there.

Cheers : just have wait to finish work now :(

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm assuming this is an IDE drive ?

Have you (whether inadvertantly or not) updated the ide controller driver software ? This can sometimes cause this.

Also, go back to basics so have the drive connected with no other devices off the same cable, put the jumper on cable select, check BIOS and see if that's finding it ok, then boot into windows.

Also, in the past I have had some drives not recognised properly until the Nero software that was bundled with them installed so make sure you have checked for stuff like that.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. greenbrucelee

Its a SATA drive, there's no IDE anything in my comp. Nero is installed but I haven't used it yet. Its all detected, in the BIOS and in my computer. It's just when you put a disc in, it doesn't run and can't see the disc. Although it runs if you select the app from programs and have the disc in the drive (except for S.T.A.L.K.E.R)

13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Does this happen for all discs?

Can you post a printscreen of your My Computer interface once you have put a disc in your DVD drive. Being able to see a printscreen may help us understand more.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Wasnt there an issue with some copy protection isntalled by some games company that caused peoples drives to start to do randome faliures and not play DVDs etc? Cant remember but wasnt it Star summat?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  15. greenbrucelee

Every disc I have tried, I am more inclined to think for some reason the registry is set to not allow autorun. There's seems to be a lot about it on the net. I will have a go at this.

Not sure, I had been playing Crysis Warhead most of the afternoon. Then I had my tea and came back and it wouldn't autorun so I tried other discs. I tried to see if the firewall had stopped it but it hadn't and I made sure autorun was enable.

The only two things I did was stop the EA download manager working on Windows start up and download an windows update. I rolled back but nothing happened.

I'll check the registry when I get home

16. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Uninstall the DVD drive via device manger and reboot, anytime this has happened to me it solves the issue, have you installed any CD/DVD burning or Image software? Normally causes the problem with me.

When you reboot the machine, windows will reinstall your DVD drive.

Worth a try.

WIP: LIFE
  17. greenbrucelee

I have just installed nero but did that the day I built the machine and it worked fine untill yesterday.

18. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Uninstall the drive from device manager and reboot, quick solution hopefully.

WIP: LIFE
  19. greenbrucelee

I'll have a go at that when I get home. Thanks :)

20. greenbrucelee

Still no joy, it's just not reading. I am going to get a lense cleaner and see if that works. Any other suggestions welcome :)