still struggling

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by zxspectrum, Feb 26, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok folks ive been doing vb for a few months now and im still struggling with it. I have books on the stuff but i need something that basically really dumbs it down for me.

Does anyone know of such a place/book as i know if i can get the first start then im on my way

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

For Dummies - choose your pick! i have used the VB 6 and C++ for dummies back in my college days and they both helped alot.. but nothing beats sitting down in front of the pc and programming - no book can teach that.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Eddie, you may have posted this before but I don't recall so I'll ask. What sort of programming background do you have? I'm wondering if you are having issues learning VB per se or if those issues have to do with learning programming in general?

I reviewed a book called Code Craft: The Practice of Writing Excellent Code for The Linux Tutorial site back in January that might make a worthy addition to your technical library.

Having said that, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, my apologies.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

I would recommend the Complete Idiots Guide series of books for anybody looking for a well explained intruduction to programming languages and concepts. I found the C++ helped me no end.

Have a look on Amazon I'm sure you will find some on there.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi all cheers or your feedback.

The problem is that i struggle to relate vb.ne to anything at all. And when i get an error i actually panic. But its a challenge and my options for next tem will be upon me soon. Im thinking of going wn the java route as web design is just working with dreamweaver etc and i find that rather easy.

What i need is somthing along the lines of this

val of textbox1 = val of textbox 2

basically thats saying wat ever is in textbox 1 is that value of textbox 2 etc (rough example)

somehing that explains it in detail, why its there what it does and why it does it etc

Ill look for the VB dummies guide etc

cheers
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It may be worth buying some additional books as ‘Dummies Guides’ don’t really give you enough info to fully understand the topic.

For example coding isn’t just about firing up VB and starting to code without any planning. You need to know about Object Orientated design and how to structure code properly. This can be declaring variables correctly and documenting code with comments as you go along.

Also you need to be able to pass variables between functions and sub routines (with modules and class modules for example) if you want to eventually work on bigger projects.

Best of luck!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I think that your problem is that you have not given yourself the opportunity to grasp the fundamentals. When you are programming you are explaining in the most concise way how to perform a task and exactly what to do to acheive that goal. As with explaining something to an individual, you have to familiarise yourself with their train of thought, and this is a computer's train of thought. I'm not saying that you need to learn such material in intimate detail, but the more that you can fit in, the better.

Once you grasp these concepts you will begin to perceive how they are modelled in the programming language in the form of logical expressions and determining outcomes. I know that it seems like overkill but you cannot become a proficient programmer unless you make the effort.

Although I would recommend books, this Wikipedia page provides a rather messy but good idea of what should be learned.

Good luck!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.