Still looking to land that first IT job?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Alex Wright, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

If so, have you considered doing voluntary work? To a potential employer it shows that you're committed to breaking into the industry and is a fantastic way of developing your skills.

If you'd be prepared to do work of this nature whether it be full-time or indeed part, then I thought that the following link may be of interest to you:

http://www.it4communities.org.uk/it4c/home/index.jsp;jsessionid=954190AF2BDBED0AD2D6BD570D16F67F

The company is now offering it's support for corporate social responsibility. What does this mean? Well, basically the company is looking to offer the benefits of it's experience to encourage IT directors and the like to extend their team-building and corporate social responsibility activities. In other words, recognize the benefit of taking on people for work experience!!!

These are exciting times for the organization... get in contact: http://www.it4communities.org.uk/it4c/team.jsp

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Alex,

Thanks for sharing with us - i think it is a great idea.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Alex Wright

You're welcome Boyce!

Hopefully it'll be of some use to people on this site that haven't had that lucky break yet. :D

- Alex

4. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

Good idea, but after reading the minimum requirements the candidate must fulfill it is clear that this is not the "job" for entry level seekers. One year of IT experience for IT professionals or three years for nonprofessionals needed.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummmm..... I'd like to point out that this organization isn't for people trying to get established in IT. It's for people who are already established in the IT world and want to give back by volunteering/donating their already developed skills to non-profit agencies in need of professional IT help.

This isn't a place to learn, it's a place to donate developed skills.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Alex Wright

That's strange as a friend of mine that's still in the process of searching for his first "proper" IT job has just been taken on by them.

Still, it's there in writing so I'm in no position to argue with you! I'd still get in contact with them though... you never know! :D

7. ffreeloader

Hey, if they will take on the newbies and put them on the right kinds of jobs it's great. It's just not what their website says they are. All I was going off of was their stated goals and what they said they are about.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep it does say that on the site, but it doesn't stop anyone from applying and getting a position though even if they don't fit the requirements.

I have recently found this out so am going to apply for jobs even if I don't fit the bill exactly you never know I might get lucky :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Alex Wright

ffreeloader, I know what you're saying. In all honesty I should have read their homepage before starting the thread. I feel like a right pillock now! :biggrin

10. Alex Wright

You'll get there eventually my friend! :)

11. ffreeloader

No need to feel that way. Well, I guess I can say that, as I'm not too sure what a pillock is..... :blink

If these guys will take newbies and put them in the right positions it helps everyone, so it wasn't a bad idea posting a link to them. I just thought it needed to be pointed out that giving newbies a shot wasn't their stated aim, as it is possible to overload them with apps from newbies looking to get experience seeing how they are an all volunteer organization.