Stay put or move on?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fanatical, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I am about to go for the 2nd interview for a Helpdesk\2nd line job in a small IT company dealing with hardware installs and aftercare. it's a small comoany, 12 people in total with 70 or so clients, some on annual cover packages and some just calling for support when they need. No pensions or benefits. they will pay for me to do my MCSE and would be looking to get me doing site visits and more technical stuff as I went along plus it's only 15 minutes away from me and the money would be at least a grand beeter than what I am on now.

by contrast now I;m doing a 1st line\some 2nd line job for a big company with an excellent pension scheme. I won't be going anywhere fast with them per say but my job is secure and the company isn't going anywhere.

so the real question is; is it worth me gambling on this smaller company which could concievabley go under if people cancel support contracts or stop using their services AND mean I lose out on pension payemnts by having to start my own private pension based only on my own payments?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the pension thing is all that is worrying you then I'd go for it. You'll make more by putting the cash under your bed anyway :)

As for the job, it sounds like this new one has a better future for you, I would do some research on them and see how they are doing etc and if all seems ok then go for it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

What are your current company offering in the way of training and prospects?
    I appreciate its a big company, and its all down to your personality with this one, the risks are clear as you have outlined, but the rewards could be greater, also they could go under (although with 70 clients id imagine thats not likely), why not do a credit check on the new company, that way you can see if they are financially viable.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This would come down to personal choice and risk, ultimately it would be your call.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Like Onoski said comes down to personal choice and risk... For me will be ok with companies i know that with them i can be able to explore my potentials. Normally this happens with growing companies.... and if there pay is good enough and with a nice pension package will be sticking around till they go down, but then if everybody staff including the management plays their part efficiently... what can possibly go wrong???

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It is a risk but if the small companies grows then you will find more opportunities with them as they expand. On the other hand they could go the other way so it's a gamble. I wouldn't take much notice of the pension thing as very few people stay in one place all their careers (especially in IT). You can still take the pension with you and pay into it yourself (fair enough you would loose the companies contributions but it's not worth turning a good job down for it).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take the job! :biggrin

I work for a small IT company and we are getting new contracts all the time as small\medium sized companies cant afford in-house IT staff so they outsource to us.

Also you will get loads of hands on experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At this point, there's no way to know what is the "right" or "wrong" decision. Go with what you believe is the best decision and run with it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Forget any pension plan, ancillary benefits and any other stuff that's not the job.

How do feel about the jobs themselves?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I think some poeple are missing the point about exactly how much the pension thing is importnat. Where I am now I pay 70 per month into my pension which is matched (plus a bit extra) by the company so thats roughly £1600 from me and the same from the company. If I go to another place where I have to pay my own pension in I'd have to put in at least £3000 per year to get the same return as I get now. If the job pays £20K and I'm already earning £17K then I'm not actaully working for any more money yet doing a harder job.

The job isn't always the be all of making a decision, you have to think about providing for yourself once you've stopped working.

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Pensions are important, especially considering that the government are intent on squandering pension funds, however whos to say that the company you work for will still be around in 40 years time, are you insured to recover your losses if that happens (im not an expert on pensions)?

My plan is to own my own home and have passive income by the time i want to retire, thats if i ever do, I enjoy challenges and doing things, so who knows.

I think you have to balance potential gain against the potential losses, and also the longterm impact that not progressing could have on your potential future earnings, if the pension is that important to you then you are obviously more concerned with the safe option, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

update!

I got a job offer and accepted. the potential short term gains towards getting ym MCSE and becoming a field engineer outway the fact that I'd be paying a substantial amount into a private pension. However, there is another firm who are calling me back today to arrange a 2nd interview for another job, for 2K more, paying for my MCSE AND have a company pension. So if that one comes up then I will take it instead. I have 4 weeks of notice to work so there is no pressure in starting the new job before I get a shot at the preferred one.

If there's a slow down in the economy I'm not seeing it, I must have had 20+ calls in the last 3 weeks or so offering me jobs all across the south and all at good rates of pay.

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done, please keep us updated!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

all the best and congrats,

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the job offer. I can fully see your point of view on the pension front; in fact, it's good to see that you're not just thinking short term gain.

I hope the 'better' job comes off too.

All the best.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds good let us know how it goes :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

congrats on the offer, I cant really say much more than the above apart from of course that a company is never safe from going under at any point, just because we are in a recession doesnt mean everyones teetering on the brink, and when this is all over and money starts flowing it wont mean that companies wont fail for other reasons.

Personally I am not worried too much about a recession, will it cloud my judgement when looking for a new job, of course it will but then any private company will be prone to boom or bust at any time, it all depends on the mistakes or successes of the company as a whole.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  18. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ok so I'm handing in my resignation today, got a nice polite and thankfull letter all done and dusted. I have my 2nd interview for the better job on wednesday at 5 so fingers crossed for then and so should hear about it before the weeks end. I just hoppe my boss doesn't get funny aboutit and make my last 4 weeks difficult, he's generally a nice guy so I don't think it will happen but he has his moments....

19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  20. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

By the way, if anyone lives in or near the Basingstoke area there will be an upcoming job vacancy on an It helpdesk for around 16K-17K, good entry level position with wide range of problems to solve and escalate, good pension scheme as well! My boss probably won't actually recruit until after xmas but if anyone is interested then PM me and I'll give you the skinny....:D