status bar on bootup?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by itdaddy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

:blink hey gurus.

has anyone heard of the number of counts in the boot up windows status bar to mean anything in relation to boot up? I cannot find this anywhere. And a tech from one of our vendor companies said this to be so?

for example 15 passes mean something and 3 passes mean something. i didnt talk to him
    but my boss did? and I want to know of a reference for this or is this a common sense thing?

thanks

Robert
    :blink

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, the number of passes doesn't mean anything. The little status bar doesn't move any faster for a computer with a fast processor, more memory, and faster drives. I've got a computer I just installed that boots in about 20 seconds... and the bar doesn't move any faster... it just cycles fewer times because it's not on the screen very long.

So why does the status bar seem to pause sometimes during the bootup process on slower computers? Because when things are being loaded into memory, the computer isn't as focused on spitting out screen output or on making that little bar move.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

thanks boson michael i think it does differe for each machine
    thanks; got to watch those old wives tales!
    ahahaha
    ;D
    but you never know like when XP came out someone said
    it meant Extreme Performance??? DOES IT?hhahaah:D

wow i am jealous at all the great certs you have
    i will get there!
    awesome dude! awesome!

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wiped my Win98 gaming box and installed WinXP on it, and the games actually ran faster, not slower. So as far as I'm concerned, yes, XP did stand for Xtreme Performance.

Besides being a tech, I write certification training products for a living - I sorta have to have the certifications to be able to teach them. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!