Static IP's

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Dudde, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Dudde

Dudde New Member

I've been trying to find a decent ISP but with a static IP but when I looked on places like http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/ it didn't give me quite enough information. Then again it's not designed for us techies. any recommendations? Preferably I don't want to trawl through every ISP's site to find out haha!! (Yes I'm lazy)

Thanks in advance

2. stevieb

stevieb New Member

I'm with EFH and they've given me a static IP, I used to use Zen and they would give you a range of IPs (about 3 - 4 I think).

I'm pretty sure most ISPs will give you a static IP if you request one, they may charge you an extra fiver a month though!

Steve.

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dudde,

The fact that you want a Static IP implies that you want to make use of the services it can offer. Make sure the provider will offer you exactly what you need.

For a no-nonsense provider, you might want to check out Andrews and Arnold. Although I am not with them at the moment (waiting for current contract to expiry), I have been on a training course with them - they seem very respectable and deliver what they advertise!

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used to use plusnet and they provided a static IP on the premium package. they seemed very good and the service was great.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

why a static IP? i been with my provider and its been "static" for over a year now, even though it should be dynamic. IP's don't change that often... do they?

6. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

didnt know there was advantages to static IP's

anyone care to fill me in before i go wikipedia?

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They can. People often use static IPs if they want to host a server on their network where they don't want the IP address to change. You can use a dynamic IP address using something like DynDNS, but it's a pain to have to use something like that... far easier to get a static IP and be done with it.

For the average home user, no, there's really no advantage.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Mr.Cheeks

thats what i was thinking...

Shaggy - have a read on wiki, and come back with questions.

9. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

wiki didnt have anything on static specifically

but after reading the post about hosting servers etc it makes sense so people know where to connect to

Ta

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have been thinking of moving ISP for some time now. Problem is, I really like cable - especially the reliability it gives me. In the five years I've had Smellywest as my ISP I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of service outages I've had - most of those were planned and I was pre-warned of them. Apart from a hiccup of about a month last year which was finally resolved by speaking to someone on the networks team who moved me to a different upstream I can't complain about the speed of the service either.

However, I am finding more and more need for my own IP space - only a 29 bit mask, but certainly more than the paltry single IP that Telwest provide - for various reasons, and they just don't seem able to accomodate me. The last quote I had was for a SINGLE static IP from them (and they can't do it via cable so would have to route it in to my premises via ADSL, defeating the object completely) and it was about 45 quid a month for an 8Mb service. Now that is patently ridiculous when you consider that I can get Pipex, Bulldog or even plain ol' BT to push an ADSL line to me at twice that speed, with a static IP, for less than that per month.

I am reluctant to move ISPs only because I LIKE cable - but since the DOCSIS apparently standard doesn't support anything other than DHCP for assigning addresses, I'll have to move to ADSL if I want my own range of IPs :cry:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Since moving to Zen over two years ago i've had 0 outages, which is good considering im still technically just on BT MAX wholesale

I get a block of 8 (upgrading to 16 soon) IPs from Zen free of charge and I have full service access with no blocking or traffic shaping going on

I was previously with Demon during the 3 years of free 2MB I had during the UK DSL trial back in the 90s, then with Force9 which went down the pan when Plusnet aquired them, then went to Bulldog which was a horrendous move, almost threatened them with legal action

I've been so pleased with Zen that I recently upgraded to a full business package at 95 quid a month, very happy with it, and with almost 1MB upload I can actually use my connection the way it's supposed to be use
    (who ever understood the benefits of the Web when you have 20mb down and 256k up??)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Another vote for Zen. I have used them a number of times over a long period of time and they have always been very good.

Not the cheapest, but you do get what you pay for. Their tech support and customer services are very good as well and easy to get through too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

This was something I asked Harry at CF meet no.2
    Basically, unless you specify (or pay) for a Static, the IP only really changes when the connection has dropped (for whatever reason) between you and your ISP.

Boyce

14. Mr.Cheeks

where are specific reasons given?

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheeks,

maybe the line dropped out or the end user re-boots the DSL device.

Boyce

16. Mr.Cheeks

Strange that, the entire exchange went down, and still had the same ip address...

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I think most ISPs assign their dynamic IPs via RAS over DHCP - using CHAP, or PAP over PPPoA. Depending on the lease time, you could have the same IP assigned for ages before someone else connects. Say, for instance, your lease time is eight days. First time someone turns their PC off they could, theoretically, keep that IP for four days (half lease duration) before someone else grabs it - meaning your connection could be down for that time before someone else gets assigned it.

Cable cos assign their IPs in a similar way - via DHCP over DOCSIS. SOmetimes I've had my line down for two days whilst I've been away, come back and got the same IP when I fire it up.

Obviously, I doubt RAS leases are eight days, but the principle remains the same.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Mr.Cheeks

ah! Cheers for that Zeb!

19. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I use Eclipse and have two static IP addresses at no extra cost.