Startup script trouble with group policy

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by SimonV, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Andrew,

I've been following this Thread all the way, somewhat bemused, as I know zip about scripting. Phil already gave me some good advice (cheers, Mate :thumbleft)

I had been kind of thinking about asking more on here about it, possibly with a view to creating a Knowledge Base article on the subject ("Scripting for Idiots" ?)

Similarly, my only exposure to Basic was on the old Spectrum, so I don't quite think think I'm up to speed there !

Hopefully I'll find a bit of time to look into it, but in the meantime, at least the ball's rolling ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm with you Jak

Scripting is something that I am quite happy to admit no knowledge of. If anyone is able to put pointers on then I for one would be quite happy to follow.

Any volunteers

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Phil, I think you are going to regret this thread starting!!! :D

I was very interested in your script that updates your database. At work we use Lotus Notes as our email client, on there we have an Infastructure database that is only accessed by the IT staff, is it possible to use scripting to update a Lotus database with the same type of information or would it have to be a MS/Access database??

Just thought it would be helpful, I also like the idea of useing scripts to update Apps etc, we at work tell everyone to just Log out and leave there machine switched on constantly, infact we have even removed the SHUTDOWN option using group policys, the main reason for this is that the machines are setup to update Mcafee Virus DAT files during the night.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:) Derek, you can get a script to access almost any database especially if you can create an ODBC connection for it. Didn't I read recently that you have Dell gx270's throughout your site? We have GX260's and GX270's and the Open Manage Client Interface makes it possible to access the bios settings from a script, you can switch on Wake on Lan, change BIOS passwords and allsorts. Once you have Wake on Lan enabled you can use Ultrawol from here to send out wake on lan packets from a script, all very neat :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I think I am going to look into this a little further

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Andrew & Gav, a good place to start looking into scripting is Microsofts book the Windows 2000 scripting guide, which they have quite helpfully put online on technet here. Simple as it is, it's also a huge subject and Microsoft do a far better intro than I could though I'm happy to help where I can.

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey, I'm just a script monkey. I cant write these things! :oops: But if you look hard enough theres plenty of free ones on the net.

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. AJ

THis has started the old grey matter thinking about how our school does printing and how I can make it easier for us.

This may sound dumb but her we go. We have someware in the region of 500 pc's on the network most of them running W2K. In most of the depts. there is a computer room with a printer. Drivers are loaded as our posts earlier. So I suppose there must be someware in the region of 100 print devices around the school some local some networked. For the boarding houses (14 of them) and dept. printers, could I potentially run 1 print server to service print jobs all from the server room to print devices around the school.

Be prepared because I have lots of other questions about this subject :twisted:

Ta very much

Andrew

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Potentially, yes. However there will be lots of variables in there, such as the volume of prints that go through and the network infrastructure between the buildings. Plus 100 queues is a lot to be hanging off one server.

10. AJ

Next Q

So as each dept is in essence a seperate enity in its own right I suppose you would be looking at a print server in each area. Now obviously being a school cost is an issue. Does the print server need to W2K server or could you use a client PC instead?

Cheers

Andrew

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Phil, I need to catch up with you on MSN at some point, if thats all right with you, to discuss the script that can access the bios on the DELL machines to change Boot Sequence settings.

Let me know when you will be around

Thanks

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

:offtopic :offtopic

Keep this stuff in a PM please guys.

Phil, it worked like a treat. The only thing now is I have the same problem Nelix had with permissions.

13. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Excellent, glad to hear it :)

what permissions problems are you having?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

We have the C:drives locked down using GP's. The printer is installed on the clients now with the script but the PC with the printer attached says it doesnt have sufficient drive space to spool the print job (I think, I'm on the run again today and the chocolate teapot's not here either) I'll go do it again then post the message in about 10 minutes.

:(

15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Si,

If you go to start > settings > Printers, select your printer and then go to the file menu and select server properties. in the advanced menu is the location of the spool directory - defaults to c:\winnt\system32\spool\printers. you could try altering the permissions on that directory or alternatively change the spool location.

16. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

@ Andrew, yes you could use an existing workstation in each area.

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Sorted it Phil, It was the temp dir under winnt.

18. m4tild4

m4tild4 New Member

Hey SimonV,

I have just upgraded a NT4.0 domain to AD, and trying to run vbscripts for printer mappings. Im currently getting the same error you are receiving, and was hoping like hell you were able to work out what was going on. What did you do in the end with this issue??

Hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

And it did work, First of all welcome to the forums and second if your not sure what the above means just ask. I have the VB sripts inplace througout our domain and they work fine :D

HTH

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  20. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

M4tild4,

It looks like the script is trying to access a file it can't find on line 4 which is causing it to fall over and not run your script. You could try putting

[code:1:1cdc1ef452]
    on error resume next
    [/code:1:1cdc1ef452]

at the top of the script which should allow it to continue and perhaps map the printers, however all this is doing is bypassing the problem and may cause more problems. If you were to post the script here we may be able to shed more light.